New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I know absolutely nothing about stereos except that I'd like a better one! Im unframiliar with all these terms like Ohms, RMS, and all that other jazz. What I am looking for is the best possible bass/clarity for around $1000 CDN or aproximately $750 USD. I definately think the way to go is an MP3 system, as I'd rather burn 2 cds worth of MP3s than 30 regular cds. Can anyone suggest a good combination of deck, amp, box and subs? I am much more fond of deep bass than punchy bass, therefore I think 12" subs are for me. However, like I said, I don't know much so ANY suggestions or experiences would be GREATLY appreciated. There is nothing worse than walking into an electronics store without knowing what your getting into, these guys are like wolves on sheep (people who know nothing).
Thanks a ton,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
first thing i have to say is MP3 to me isnt everything it has cracked up to be.....i have 182 songs on my cd's and cant find half the songs i want to listen too..not to mention i cant type in the track number i want into the remote since it only does for the most part single numbers and tens...no 20, 30, 40 50,60's etc..from my experience in canada and systems you will be best with an alpine or clarion deck gonna run you about 300 to 1200. just check that has the functions you want and not what the store guy wants to sell you..i would say stay away from anything with less then 50 WRMS a channel though..and make sure it has a nice degree of adjustabilty..you will want a decent amp to push your bass, i would sugest a two channel amp of about 300 WRMS and then look at getting porbably one nice 12 in sub..likey an alpine tye R or S... that will more then likely burn up your thousand bucks with wiring and all th eother jazz you may want (lighting, caps<--not needed under 500 WRMS, box)...the only reason i say get a 2 ch 300 watt amp is that later you can upgrade to more power and subs and then use the small amp to push your doors or rears..you may want to even consider getting some replacement door speakers...$1000 will go far but you will want more later...either start small and leave room to expand or know the right people who will give you the deal of a lifetime...haggle a bit when you are in the stores too they will likey drop the price if you say you gonna go somewhere else to get it cheaper..or that your willing to pay cash or whatever..i dont know but it cant hurt to try..hope that helped a bit

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
sorry that is what i meant...typing a little faster then i was thinking...i meant 50 peak to i believe clarion has 54 watt/Ch..my bad

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
some of the alpines have 27watts rms and 60 peak per channel

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My ultimate suggestion is to find a local audio shop (not Best Buy, Circuit City dept stores)
Go there and ask them what you are looking for (Sound quality, SPL, a bit of both) dont tell them how much you want to spend.

When they show you everything and you have listened to them (bring your cds to test out the stuff)
then tell them you will think about it

Then do some research on the net to find cheaper prices,if you do then tell the audio shop if they can beat that
In most cases if you buy a package deal (amps, speakers, HU, subs) they will def give you a good deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts