New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I'm new here (I say here since I go a other forums often).

I always tought that the Cougar was a nice car, but I felt in love with it after seing how this car can look with only a couple of mods, damn what a nice car, and also very cheap to buy used.

I took the time to read a lot of the post, and it seems that a lot of people are having problems with the reliability of this car. A lot of problems with water pump, with the sunroof also, and I took the time to read the cougar review on www.epinions.com and www.carreview.com, and I'm a little bit concerned before buying this car, I mean, so many people seems to have problems... and Ford doesn't seem to know how to fix most of them, which is even more problematic...

So, I just need your support before taking my decision of buying this car or not, is the reliability THAT bad? If possible, for those who have the car for at least one year, could you give a note on a scale of 1 to 10 on the reliability of the car? Maybe this will help me to take my decision.

Thanks in advance all!
Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome aboard man. Honestly to tell you the truth I have had no problems on my car that you have listed, alternator is fine, tranny, etc etc. (knock on wood). Youll find there are a good bit of folks that dont have a lot of trouble with their coug's. If I was purchasing another I would look into getting an 00 or higher. Definatly get an extended warranty if you are worried about it.

On a scale of 1-10 ( 10 being EXTREMELY Reliable) I would give it an 8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok that's good, please continue to give feedback, thanks!

DgnZCoug, VERY nice car by the way!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Jonathan,

As always only the problems get reported on the internet and not much is said about the good things. My car has been extremely durable. If you like lookers, mine is for sale right now, its a limited edition Roush and I think one of the better looking, practical kits. PM or e-mail me for details ont eh Roush package or the car in general. Oh welcome BTW!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Yep, gotta agree! i've had TWO cougars...

I had a 1999 red one for a year before some punk 17yr old kid made an illegal turn which totalled it, but i was so happy with the car that I bought another one right after (the 1999 black one i have now) :)

I've never had any mechanical problems with either one of them. ME - i would give it a very strong 8/10 if not a 10/10 (for me personally)

A word of advice - get it the V6 in Manual Transmission (if that whole performance thing matters to you :) )
Surprisingly, out of EVERYTHING, the biggest complaint people have, is that the automatic transmission is too slow, so keep that in mind when buying!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ho yeah don't worry I will get the manual and V6, and like to drive stick so much I could never drive an auto.

Kinger, your car seems nice, but I live in Canada, a little bit too far!

Thanks again, it's really reassuring me a little now.

I now have a spec-v, which I don't love too much, and it's pretty expensive also (I will now buy used car of 2-3 years, this save so much $$$!), so I have to get rid of it before I switch (I have to find someone to take my lease back first)

Anyway, thanks a lot again!
Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question;

I just can't stand cabin rattles, they just drive me nuts, are the cougar pretty rattle free or are prone to rattle a lot? (since it's ford... hehe).

Thanks again.
Jonathan

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
is it a 2000 or 2001 cougar?

The reason I ask is a lot of the problems you mentioned are mostly reported by those owning 1999 and some 2000 cougar owners.
You find those with 2001 and above owners do not report those same problems, especially not as frequently as the 99-00 owners.
And as you can also see by the 99-00 owners who have responded thusfar, even then you don't have a whole lot to worry about, as they are all quite satisfied with the quality and reliability of their vehicles.

I say go for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I don't know, the first mint car I find will be the one I get, either a 2000 or 2001, even a 2002 if I get one at a good price, we'll see!

By the way, are the leather seats heated?
Jonathan

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,946 Posts
My leather seats aren't heated :(

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
i didn't used to have any rattling in my car- until i started taking things apart, painting them and then putting them back together improperly :flushed:

and ya! from one Canadain to another, i can tell you - this car can handle our winters too :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allright, fair enough, you guys are good sellers ;p

As soon as I can sell my current car, I'll get one for sure, I'm really in love with the shape of the car, so nice!

Thank you also for the link about the heated seats, good info! :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have a 99 I4 ZETEC that has been an awesome car. I have converted it to a 02' if you are interested. PM me and I will send pics and a very low price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Allright, my $0,02 here than, since so far it has been all so positive.... okay, its an Automatic, (not my fault, but the Mrs doesnt drive stick, and she was gonna drive it more than I do...oh well...)

Problems, not a whole lot, but let me list them for you

Alternator, replaced FIVE times
Brakes, replaced all four (pads and rotors that is)
Left doorlock, replaced twice
Electronic Control Module, replaced twice
Sunroof, broken (in the process of either having FoMoCo pick up at least 80% of tab, or hand it over to attorney)
Constant bogging whilst in D(rive) stopped for trafffic light
Fuel pump needs replacement.

Our Cougar is a 2000, bough in June 2000, its my first and for sure last PURCHASED FORD vehicle, I might lease one, which means not owning it beyond warrantee. I think my vehicle is one poorest quality vehicles I've ever driven and owned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the offer scottina99, but I really want the V6.

Thank you for the comments Miez, the problems you have seems to be coming back pretty often on other cougar, but it's not too bad, I know the car is not as reliable as lets say, an Acura, but I don't care if little things break from time to time, especially when you can buy a 2000 car for like 10000$ CAN, and an Acura integra GSR sells for 20000$ CAN, which is a very good car, but not as nice looking, so even if I have to put more to maintain the car, that's fine with me, as long as I don't have too many problems tho.
But damn, FIVE alternators in about 3 years??? Do you have a huge sound system or mostly stock?

Thanks again for your comments, feel free to give more input!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Actually...the zetec is faster than the ATX and close to the MTX in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.(depending on who you talk to) Look in the Drag Strip forum at strip times. The zetec engine actually has more potential with upgrades and mods. Plus my zetec has most of the V6's options and some that most dont have.....Plus the price is awesome for what you get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, since I don't want to put THAT much money in mods (like turbo, supercharger), the Zetec, even if that motor is extremly solid from what I heard, is not in my options. The only mods I will do is exhaust, header and intake, so from what I read here I could get over 30whp more only with that on the V6, and an awesome sound with the Borla or Apex exhaust systems.

If I wanted to put a turbo, I would go for the Zetec, but turbo is way too expensive for my taste, don't forget I live in Canada, and I must use winter tires like 5-6 months a year, pretty useless to have like 250whp here, specially with the the soooo ugly roads we have here in Montreal.

Thanks again!
ciao
Jonathan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.