New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up everyone this is my first post and well im looking to get a cougar. Ive been looking at dealerships around me (I live about 10 minutes out of boston) but so far there hasnt really been anything that special. So I am hoping someone on here has some info on where I can get a 99-up cougar for a decent price with a farily low amount of miles on it. The best that Ive seen at a dealership so far was a 99 with 39000 miles for 9995. Is that too much to pay?

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you have a choice its pretty much a good idea to steer clear of the 99's. As with any newly introduced car there were plenty of annoying problems that had to be worked out on them. Find a 2000 for about the same price. And decide first if you want the performance, and if so, don't settle for an automatic. All over these boards there are people wanting to upgrade to a Cougar with a 5-speed. Welcome to the club, and happy hunting!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I do care about performance but I dont know how to drive stick and where I live I think automatic would just be easier, alot of stop and go traffic. These annoying problems that you are talking about could you list some of them so I can get an idea of what they deal with

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Originally posted by: jad1682
Well I do care about performance but I dont know how to drive stick and where I live I think automatic would just be easier, alot of stop and go traffic. These annoying problems that you are talking about could you list some of them so I can get an idea of what they deal with
Sunroof breaking due to plastic track
Altinator death
fuel pumps are prone on cougars, BUT If I am not mistaken, this has been more of a problem for newer cougars running a returnless fuel system.

if you DO go for a 99, open the sunroof and inspect the track. if its plastic, it hasnt been replaced yet .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it is nothing really major that will cost me thousands of dollars down the road. And if the sunroof has a plastic track is that something that was recalled and they have to fix or is it something that I am going to have to pay for. Also what do you think for the price does that seem fair or am i getting a screw job pulled on me

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Originally posted by: jad1682
So it is nothing really major that will cost me thousands of dollars down the road. And if the sunroof has a plastic track is that something that was recalled and they have to fix or is it something that I am going to have to pay for. Also what do you think for the price does that seem fair or am i getting a screw job pulled on me

a recall was never issued for the sunroof. and it is expensive.

also , i forgot to mention the MTX transmission. pre 01 cougars have a different shift tower. and they can fail with no warning, sending a bolt into the transmission. bye bye tranny. this happened to my 99 and ford quoted me close to 4g's to get it fixed. I had my local mech do it with a transmission from Bat.inc (i got thier last one) and it cost me 2 g's that way...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the info I will definitely check the sunroof track as far as the transmission thing goes I dont have the money to buy a 2001-up cougar so I guess ill just have to chance that. Is the bolt slipping a commonly occuring problem or is somehting that most likely will not happen. And any links to more info on these two probelms

Thanks Alot

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
do you use AIM at all? Ill be on when I get home from work tonight. AIM : Xerxeese1

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
Gary (Badlarry28) is selling his Cougar. He lives in the Tyngsboro area which is about 45min away from Boston. I'm sure he'll teach you stick in order to sell it :)

He would be better to talk to about what it has, but I can tell you it's a 2000, MTX and bawls out taken care of. He stores it in the winter. Shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarXR02
If you have a choice its pretty much a good idea to steer clear of the 99's. As with any newly introduced car there were plenty of annoying problems that had to be worked out on them. Find a 2000 for about the same price. And decide first if you want the performance, and if so, don't settle for an automatic. All over these boards there are people wanting to upgrade to a Cougar with a 5-speed. Welcome to the club, and happy hunting!

those are fighting words there....:slap:...heheh

i have a 99 and have had no problems other than the typical ones. plus my car has the "patent" for the fastest stock cougar so far. not stock anymore but its sorta like a married with chidren thing with Al and his football..ya know?...heheh. my advice is ebay cause kitties are dirt cheap but only thing that sucks is you cant see them or take em for a drive or anything.

·
Registered
178 Posts
9995 is definitely a bit steep from a dealer, i got my 99 ATX with 40k miles on it for 7000 from dealer, and that was like 4 months ago. There was also a 2000 ATX with leather interior for 9900(i believe) but that was a bit too steep for me. my advice, keep looking.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Originally posted by: Xerxeese
look at THIS for 10K
i love that car... but there are problems. sunroof broken; ~70k miles; atx; you pretty much CAN'T change a thing on the exterior w/out it costing mad loot, etc....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just talked to the dealer he said 9400 and he is going to give me a brand new sunroof because I told him I knew about the plastic tracked onesa breaking

·
Registered
892 Posts
before you make your decision, i have a 2000 v6 ATX for sale. I am from North Reading MA and go to school at PC. I bought it with 19k miles and right now it has 45k. It doesn't have a ton of options but it does have a cd player, wings west high rise spoiler, painted headlights. The reason i am selling it is because i want a 5 sp basiclly.

right now it is in the shop. nothing serious though don;t worry. my dad was cleaning snow off of it whole i was at school and used a shovel:mad:......so there were scratches on teh hood, roof, fender and trunk lid, all of which are getting professionally repainted and also the front bumper is getting repainted becaues the insurance company decided to be generous:shrug:

let me know

andrew

·
Registered
892 Posts
here are some pics. the front shows where the hood scratches are, you can't even see them, in the pic and are not deep, but my dad felt real bad because he knows how much i care about it and decided to report it to insurance and they covered it

the side shot shows the painted headlights and spoiler

andrew

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am talking to a dealership right now with a cougar with 30087 mile son it and they want 8995 its a 2001 i think this may be the one i get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts