New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,719 Posts
I went with a bargain-priced timing chain kit when I did my build, and one of the tensioners failed within a couple of months and the engine skipped time. No internal damage, which was a miracle, but I replaced both tensioners with name-brand units afterwards and it's been fine for a few years now. So Cloyes or Melling are both quality brands for timing equipment.

Those bolts are gonna be a problem; you might have to get creative to find those.

Reactions: Jurremans

· Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Just re-use those bolts. No need to replace, nothing special about them. I realize your manual says that they are TTY, but the engine build manual from Ford does not, and the spec for the bolts is not the right size to be TTY.

Reactions: Jurremans

· Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
30 Posts
The main-girdle bolts are torque to yield, even depicted in the Ford shop manual that way.

I rebuilt a 3.0 last winter, a set of ARP studs was cheaper than buying new/NOS Ford bolts - which would have to be sourced onesy-twosey around the country.
Nautilus Performance Group sells the ARP studs for these around the $320 mark

The connecting rod bolts are torque to yield too but they are the same as Ford's 90s-00s modular V8, pretty much the only way you'll find any is in a set of 8 pairs for the 4.6 V8.

I have my doubts about the main bolts actually stretching but the rod bolts definitely do, being we got enough bolts for a V8 I "wasted" a pair of new rod bolts to measure the stretch after torqueing and they stretched about 1/16"

· Premium Member
4,891 Posts
The engine build manual does not support the idea that those bolts need to be replaced.
First, it doesn't say so. For the rod bolts, it does.
Second, The bolts are normal "M" bolts. If they were TTY, they would be "MJ" bolts.

From a real-world perspective...This community is full of cars that didn't get those bolts replaced. At $23/bolt that ARP kit costs more than some people spend on a reasonable mileage 3.0 motor. The economics don't make sense.
View attachment 81419

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.