New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering If anyone on here would be able to fabricate a plastic Remote fob for me. I don't have the specifications now but I was wondering if anyone would be available to create one for me. It will be similar to the one in the picture basically just a 2 piece plastic box hollow on the inside. I plan to mount a spring loaded locking mechanism inside for my key, as well as rip out the guts of my keyless entry fob and stuff them inside the new box. That way I have key and remote entry fob all in one. THen I'll probably stick a cougar badge on the back of it. Also does anyone know any complications that might arise from a project like this, something perhaps to do with the transponder?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
ahh yes, just like the Mercedes' have :)

i like it... i like it alot- i think its a great idea to try and make it. its cool, convenient, and shouldn't cost any obscene amount of money...
but - wouldn't that mean going through the whole process of getting another key cut? or splitting apart the key you have now and clipping it into this one?

hmm, you know... you could make a small fortune if you found a place to make them... i'd sure be down to buy one :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
:cool:me too

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well right now I have 3 keys, so i plan on using one of those for this project. Rigging up the locking mechanism so the key swings open switchblade style shouldn't be a big problem, neither should mounting the electronic components from the remote i have now. I just gotta find a way to make/acquire a decent looking housing. If it works out well I'll definitely end up posting a how-to if anyone else is interested.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
umm, you'd have to see what's on the inside of they keys b/c i heard they have a chip inside of them for the PATS.

·
Registered
487 Posts
that is true

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
Well, you'd be removing all that of course. He's basicly looking for the housing & flip-out mechanism.

I would imagine it would require pulling the PATS chip out of the key (looks like a tiny coil in a glass tube) and cutting his key to fit the release mechanism (or just cut it & glue em together). He could probably even reuse the same buttons on the new remote & wire them to the board of the old fob.

Here are some Ebay links:

Ebay link 1

Ebay link 2

Ebay link 3

Ebay link 4

Ebay link 5 <--- Mercedes one

·
Registered
902 Posts
Awesome idea.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks John :thumbsup: , I'm gonna try and grab one of those VW ones off of ebay and see If i can squeeze my keyless entry junk into it. I think I can get a used one (non-uncut one) for around 20 bucks so I'm gonna try to get ahold of one of those because the uncut $50 ones are a bit more than I want to spend, especially since i'll just be throwing the uncut piece away and also not knowing if it will all work correctly. I figured the cougar uses a transponder key but I don't think that would be too difficult to get around. (i'll rig it up somehow) I was browsing a VW board and I came across a how-to to attach an older VW key to a newer VW Remote and I think i can use that same how-to to dissassemble the mechanism and attach my own key with some slight adjustments. And yup, i'll probably just wire the existing vw buttons onto my keyless entry board. Then i just gotta pop out the VW emblem and pop on a little cougar/mercury badge and I'll be good to go. I'll let you guys know how it turns out as soon as I get ahold of a remote on ebay.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
You could always use a PATS defeater, which you can buy at AutoZone for like $20-30. That way you don't have to worry about having the chip in there.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
this is a very cool idea.....I agree with Matt, sell em :biggrin:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would be all over that!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yes yes yes heh... lets not highjack his thread TOOOO much with all the "me too" posts :tongue:

seriously though, where or who could have this mass produced? Ninety9V6 - would you be willing to make more if you are successful?
or even if there was a certain company on the boards who would be maybe willing to look into having these made for us *hint hint* :tongue: heh!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well If i can successfully do it, since I'm going to try to modify a VW remote i'm getting off of ebay i'll write a how-to, because if i were to make them for people they'd have to send me their keyless entry remote and key and a remote fob they find online or elsewhere. So in my how-to i'll explain how to attach the key and rewire the existing buttons on the VW remote to your keyless entry board. I don't think it will be all to difficult ::crosses fingers:: and i'll let you guys know as soon as i try it out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
very nice idea Ninety9V6 i personally have always liked the switchblade key fob of the benz's...just too bad I have the Viper 791xv alarm wit the blue lcd remote and i can't open that one up...maybe if I were to buy an extra Viper remote (the ones wit the 4 buttoms no lcd screen) then I might be able to do what your doing except I would be moving the insides from the regular viper remote to the switchblade key fob...anyways can't wait to see how yours turns out

-JP

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If people had a dupicate key and remote I think i would send it to you...

Get this done and it will be sick... you have my money for sure...

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, Thought I would give my input on this matter, I have a car alarm from that place EricF mentionted, Fentons. It works really good so far. Havent had any problems yet. I subscribed to their free catalog and newsletter and they have specials on their products all the time. I got my alarm (the same model: Tp-8838) for $169.95 They have upcoming sales this month, so if you want to wait you might be able to find one onsale. Thats if you want the complete package. I tried what you did, but with a BMW Key transmitter, but it didnt work, my chip couldnt fit into the the remote. I just went there and they updated the website, so the URL is: http://www.fentonstc.com/fentonsusa/TP-8838.html or you can click on the link to check it out Fentons TP-8838.

Let me know if you get a system worked out. I would like to see pictures of the remote.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts