New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a Cougar in NC or close to Charlotte NC to use as a test fit for one of my turbo kits ,Needs to be a Zetec and willing to leave it for 1 to 2 days at a time

To date we have done a

Focus Zetec 320HP at the wheels

Focus SVT 325HP at the wheels

ZX2 Zetec 319 HP at the wheels

Our kits are not vaporware and can do power from 180 to 300+HP at the wheels with VERY FAST spooling

Tom

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, my turbo spools faster:biggrin:, but then mine can't push 20 psi. Here's Tom's website, http://www.focus-power.com/ It's the most expensive turbo kit for the Zetec, but then it's pretty much the only kit for the Zetec. His track record is proven. His achievments are, virtually without equal. His kit is to the Zetec, what StreetFlights kit is for the Duratec. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
573 Posts
While trying to develop my custom built-from-scratch turbo kit for the Cougar, I hooked up with Tom. He and I have been talking with a good bit about getting a kit for the Cougar Zetec developed. I told him I'd gladly test fit on my vehicle, but since I'm in Germany it creates a problem with shipping, returns, customs, etc. Someone please help us out getting this project off the ground. I know there are lots of people who would appreciate it, including myself.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost will depend on what has to be done to make the kit fit and work safely

The ZX2 kit runs 5500.00

The ZX3 kit runs 5200.00

The SVT Focus kit runs 5800.00

NO internal parts come with the kit the kit is ment to run at 8 to 9 psi on pump gas and make 220 to 230HP and 240+TQ at the wheels with race fuel as much as 15PSI can be made with all stock engine

QUOTE,,Well, my turbo spools faster,

I would have to see that to beleive it ,My kit can make 125TQ at the wheels by 2000RPM and still make 320+ with the same NON ball bearing turbo

Im calling you out in the street at high NOON

Tom

·
Registered
832 Posts

That was posted at the ZX2 forums by Bow Down as a chart for your base setup, 8psi. Care to post the chart where you got that 2000rpm figure.

Here is your chart, for your monster, from your own website.

Here's my TQ chart.

When I mean spool faster, I also mean at what RPM do you get full boost. You look at my chart, I have a huge jump between 2000 and 3000rpms and full boost by around 2800rpms. According to these charts, I got you beat till around 3400rpm then your bigger turbo starts to out flow mine, on your base setup. On your 400+hp monster, I got you beat till 3800rpms, though obviously in that case you've sized the turbo for top end power. Your turbo is way bigger than mine as well, mine will only push around 14psi at the most, efficiently and your's can do 20+. Smaller turbo will spool faster though it won't make as much power. I've always felt the only problem with your setup is a bit too much lag. Though it's only around 4-800rpms.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its hard to tell it could all be from the piping or you have a larger down pipe , I will say this as yours sits and as my kit sits in the piping and trim as they were in the dynos ,Your is a little quicker

I hope one day you get a chance to ride in one of mine or drive one i think your idea of turbos turbo sizes and todays new advances in turbos will change

I have a turbo making 120+ HP more and its nipping on your heals as for spool up is amazing as to what was out there 5 to 6 years ago

And were it makes its top bower is not where it hits full boost i can hit 12psi by 3200RPM with the STD kit

Tom

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm not gonna change my mind because I agree with you, the main thing is I got a stock WRX turbo. OEM turbo's were chosen for their quick spool at the sacrifice of upper rpms breathing. You've obviously chosen a turbo with a good compromise of fast spooling vs upper rpms efficiency. Though I've always thought your's had a bit too much "lag", the lag was less than I thought, and the difference is only around 400rpms. 12psi by 3200rpms is very respectible, and quicker than I origionally thought.

For anybody else interested in his kit, as you can see from that chart I posted, those numbers are 239whp is at 8 psi on the stock block. There is no other kit doing those kind of numbers. Nevermind the fact that their is no real Zetec turbo kit out there aside from Tom's anyway. I know $5k is a lot of cash, but you get what you pay for. It will do 200+whp on pump gas and 300whp with race gas on the STOCK BLOCK.

The only way you can "beat" that is to do what I did. Do the kit yourself, but you will wind up spending the same amount in the long run, for the same performance, though you'll just wind up doing it over a two or three year period like I'm doing it, that's the "budget" method. Or if you got the cash, get everything you need up front and get Tom's kit.

As for riding in your car, I'd love to but no. My car feels slow enough as it is, even with 200whp. Can't imagine how slow it will feel after riding in your 400+whp BEAST.:bowdown: Like I said, Tom's kit is to the Zetec, what StreetFlight's kit is to the Duratec. Who's gonna step up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If this kit does get off the ground. I would be interested. HOWEVER. 5800 dollars is pretty steep. Maybe with 5800 dollars and NA power you could achieve the same results? P+P, SVT head, stronger internals, and even a little NOS maybe? Do you think 254+ whp (NA) is an acheivable goal with 5800 dollars?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
No, not possible, remember your working with a 4cyl not a v8.

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
Originally posted by: SleepyKat
. Maybe with 5800 dollars and NA power you could achieve the same results? P+P, SVT head, stronger internals, and even a little NOS maybe?
NITROUS....or N20.... is not NA, it is forced induction.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i woudln't doubt it to be possible...i've seen some crazy things done by people with loaded wallets....as someone said nitrous is forced induction and not n/a...so that's outta the question...and i believe AL determined that the svt head will not work with our car?...sides...all motor is cool but it's not as fun :biggrin:

if my cougar wasn't crap i'd be interested in this for sure....but...as i said...it's crap...soo i think i'll be passin this one up....would def be cool though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts