New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the front rotors and pads on my '99 Cougar V6 replaced with new ones because the old rotors were mechanically fine but badly rusting on the outside, making the wheel look like crap. The tech applied some sort of high-gloss, high-temperature brake paint to the visible outside part of the rotors so that they wouldn't rust so readily, and it looks great except there's a small black paint spot on one of my wheels. :banghead: (I have the 15" factory alloys, by the way.) Is it safe for me to use paint thinner to remove this spot, or will that do more harm than good? What's my best course of action here? Any help would be appreciated. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I'm on my own on this one ... :shrug:

Anyone?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If its really small, you might be able to get off with clay which is generally very effective at removing overspray. If its a larger spot you could try to reduce it with some paint thinner, then once its smaller, clay it off. Just be very careful not to get any paint thinner on your wheels (maybe mask it off with tape and use a Qtip to apply).

Try claying first, Mothers and Clay Magic both make very good clay kits that are available at most auto parts retailers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts