New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
little history, if you dont care skip down. hey, im new to the forums and was reccomended here by a friend. he is planning to turbo his 2000 cougar and told me the price on the kit. i tohght $4000 was outrageous for just the turbo kit with no internals or anything and decided to help him out. I have done several turbo projects in cluding a 1986 mustang, 1986 cougar and a 1971 pinto that i am currently working on.

how strong is the 2.5L block?
how strong are the stock rods, and crank?
i was thinking 8.5:1 FORGED pistons would be best and running somr ARP rod bolts at minimum.
also, does anyone make 8.5:1 forged pistons for a stock bore 2.5L?

next, i was thinking of a turbo thats basically a T03/T04E with a .46 trim T04E cold side and a .63 T03 hot side witha stage II wheel in it. theyre good for well over 350hp easy. next problem is manifolds, who makes manifolds and piping that have a T3 turbo flange on them? should i just use stock ones and connect them and add a T3 flange there?
where do most cougar owners mount turbos in their engine bay?
It will of course be intercooled.

thanks for the help and anyone thats ventured into turboing a 2.5Lplease ggive me any input and problems you have enouctered in your install.

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
You might want to post this question in Forced Induction as it relates more closely to that Forum. You might also want to check over at Contour.org as I know there are a bunch of guys there that know a lot about turbo charging our engines.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The kit is so expensive because nobody else makes a turbo kit for the cougar. If you want to make it cheaper, you are going to have to custom fabricate the whole kit. The only person that I know of that has custom made one for their 2.5L is naynay, but he just finished it and his turbo is still in it's testing stages.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
is our cars low impedence or high impedence injectors? i have no clue

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
low impedance injectors....

as for the internals... well we have a 3L 'tour running 350 ponies on stock internals if i'm not mistaken... only internal mod is rod bearings....

he has done a 3L engine swap, as well as a turbo kit from streetflight with an upgraded turbo... i can't remember what turbo he's running but t3 really rings a bell... the kit also comes with a water/air intercooler, far more efficient than an air/air but it does come with it's visual drawbacks...

the kit from streetflight comes with
T28 Ball Bearing Turbo
Spearco Air/Water Intercooler
Trunk Mounted Water Resevoir
1st Generation Eclipse Blow Off Valve
Street Flight Fabricated Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Turbo Piping and Headers
Fender Mounted intake and K&N Filter
All necessary hoses and couplings
19 lb/hr Ford SVT Injectors
External Wastegate
Front Mount Heat Exchanger

I beleive it also comes with a chip, as streetflight makes the best chips for our car also (completely custom maps all around)...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if theyre low impedence, i would bet injectors from the 2.3l turbo would work, they have low impedence 30# and 35# injectors, they cost abotu $7 and $10 each respectively.

http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=63&threadid=89326

go over there and reply please.

also, air to water had its advangtages at the track, but a good air/air is much better on the street in my opinion

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
low impedance injectors....

as for the internals... well we have a 3L 'tour running 350 ponies on stock internals if i'm not mistaken... only internal mod is rod bearings....

he has done a 3L engine swap, as well as a turbo kit from streetflight with an upgraded turbo... i can't remember what turbo he's running but t3 really rings a bell... the kit also comes with a water/air intercooler, far more efficient than an air/air but it does come with it's visual drawbacks...

the kit from streetflight comes with
T28 Ball Bearing Turbo
Spearco Air/Water Intercooler
Trunk Mounted Water Resevoir
1st Generation Eclipse Blow Off Valve
Street Flight Fabricated Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Turbo Piping and Headers
Fender Mounted intake and K&N Filter
All necessary hoses and couplings
19 lb/hr Ford SVT Injectors
External Wastegate
Front Mount Heat Exchanger

I beleive it also comes with a chip, as streetflight makes the best chips for our car also (completely custom maps all around)...

Id say he upgraded the Turbo because a T28 cannot push 350HP's. Besides a T3 performance series turbo's max is under 350HP.... also he needed to really upgrade to perform near 350 or more. Would have to be a T3/T4E Hybrid to do so.....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by: Blackcoog
There is a reason they went with the Air to Water. Good luck trying to get the Air to Air to fit in the cougar...

Not this again......does Seawulf ring a bell? He has one (FMIC) and so does someone else on these boards. Again for our application (this is for Jagular) a air to air will out perform a liquid to air.....again only for our app.....if you were a drag racer then yes a liquid to air would be the best. People, there is ample room to fit a FMIC.....it is just easier to make a liquid to air for our cars.....thats the reason behind it!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Doesn't seawulf have a zetec?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You still have ample room being a 4cyl or V6...We have installed the FMIC a dozen times so far on the V6 (MTX only). The hard part was fitting the piping coming from the Turbo to the IC. Its a pretty hefty 90deg turn downwards then rides right under the radiator up to another 90 deg bend into the IC.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The T28 in the SF kit produces around 270-290 at the wheels with ~10psi. (that's 330-355 crank)
Power under the curve is also extremely nice with this kit!

The 3L in question is running a T3/4 60 trim with large exhaust wheel and put down 305FWHP at just 5.5psi.

Now Estimated around 350FWHP at 8-9psi. (It trapped at ~108-109mph!) Actually "now" it's being made better yet... :biggrin:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, the T28 BB is a nice turbo...very fast spooling. Just runs out of juice too soon for someone that "wants" the option of pushing near 400HP or 500HP if he/she wants..

What do you mean"large exhaust wheel"? What is the size of the compressor wheel? Whats the inducer/exducer size, how many blades, is it a E or B series, or std or spr, is it a ...ah just messing with you.

Theres a huge amount that goes into making a specific turbo for a certain car. Sorry.... just curious to see how they came up with a T3/T4....if that what it is.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by: naynay
You still have ample room being a 4cyl or V6...We have installed the FMIC a dozen times so far on the V6 (MTX only). The hard part was fitting the piping coming from the Turbo to the IC. Its a pretty hefty 90deg turn downwards then rides right under the radiator up to another 90 deg bend into the IC.

did you move the radiator and a/c condensor back or did you just leave them in stock location and mounting it front of them? I dont personally own a new cougar and i am just helping a frined with this, i know in mine (1986 model, fox chasis) you can just move both of those back and a BIG intercooler will fit in front of them (the ones off isuzu box trucks work well). talk about cooling.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by: FastCougar
I have pictures from Wayne in Australia of a FMIC in a V6 Cougar ... it can be done.

Ah...you finally spoke up to help...you love me:puke:....sorry im just playing around. But seriously its hard to get people to understand the room there is for a FMIC. And yes its fine to mount it in front of the ac condensor and radiator....where do you think the Honda and Supra boys put theirs.:biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts