New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the airport the other week for thanksgiving and I forgot to turn my headlights off. When I got back in town 5 days later I found out my battery had died. My car has been driving really crappy ever since. When I got on the highway leaving the airport my car started to smoke and I noticed at normal driving (gas slightly pressed) the car jerks and the engine sounds like those semis that have exhaust brakes. This problem comes and goes but it stopps at WOT. The car actually seems like it has more power than before. I figured I was just running rich again since it had been dead for 5 days. I thought if I gave it a few days to relearn everything, the ECU would lean it back out. Well, its been a few days and it's not nearly as bad as it was, but it hasn't gone away. I have had problems with my idle for a while - I've been meaning to take a trip back to street flight to have them re-tune my car since the electrical problem is fixed now. I no longer have problems at idle; it seems like my problem moved up in the RPM band. I decided to go to autozone to see if I have any new codes. They pulled some pretty harsh ones...

P0113 - IAT secsor 1 circuit high input... I'm guessing this is the same one I got a while ago that said "intake air temperature too high for conditions" and I'm guessing it's just because of the extra heat the blower creates -- although, the IAT is located before the blower, so maybe I'm having problems with the filter sucking in hot ass radiator air... or maybe my IAT is bad and causing all these problems.

P0340 - Camshaft position sensor Sensor A Bank 1 circuit malfunction.

P1309 - Manufacture control ignition system or misfire... this is the harsh one -- I thought if you were misfiring your engine light would blink.....?

It's been about 2 oil changes since I've changed my plugs, I heard you have to change the copper core plugs fairly often - I'm getting ready to do that with my next oil change.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to ask the main question for this post...

I thought maybe, somehow this problem could be related to my alternator or electrical system being that I just replaced the alt. right before the airport trip. So just for the hell of it I disconnnected my battery thinking maybe if the battery is bad it is drawing too much voltage from the car and screwing up the sensors/ECU some how. With my car running on the alternator only my lights dim very much everytime I hit the brake. the headlights almost go completely out for a split second then it returns to normal until I let off and press the brake again. Is this normal?

I'm wondering if maybe the ECU just needs a second to adjust the amperage/voltage (whatever it adjusts) with the extra load of the brake lights; and maybe the battery usually gives this extra needed power briefly until the alternator can supply it.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Once I didnt drive my car for 3 days, then after starting it was like it sat there for years, rough idle, almost died, burning gas fumes, all hell breaking loose. Nothing was left on, but just sitting there not being driven sort of froze everything up. I never found out why it aged 20 years then suddenly got better after a few days.
And ive done every available electrical system fix and still have breif dimming with the brake lights pressed. 1 thing ive done to really help with dimming is the alternator volt regulator wire switch mod. So really I dont know anymore than you about the situation but that the cars electrical system is really crappy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts