New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long have your Silverstars lasted?

My stock bulbs lasted...well, the car was built in 10/98 and the first bulb burnt out in October or November of 2004, I replaced the high and low beams with Silverstars. Here it is 7 months later and I had one go already! I turn my lights on every time I get in the car, but this is nothing different. Looked on their website and
2. What is the life expectancy of SilverStar?
The life expectancy of a SilverStar halogen light source is dependent on the driver’s use of the lights, which vary by season, time of day and number of miles driven. We estimate the SilverStar halogen lights to have a life span of up to one year under average driving conditions.
Up to 1 year? This sounds ridiculous, since everyone on here is always raving about them...at $40 a pair, and a pita to actually take the old ones out and replace them, I'm not sure I want to be replacing these every 6 months.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ive had mine since October with no problems(knock on wood lol).

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I have daytime running lights in my car, so mine are always on, and they've lasted about 2 1/2 years so far. (And my car is driven about 2 hours daily, as I have a 45 min commute each way.) Just be very careful when putting them in, because if you touch them the oil from your hands will reduce the life of the bulb -- if not make it blow right away.

E1

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of mine just blew out there other day ... Got them in February. They have a year warranty so I just took it in and they replaced it. Accually ... I hope they blow every 10 months ... I'll never have to buy any.

PS - What bulb size are in the 2001-02 Fog Lights ???

·
Administrator
15,616 Posts
I can't remember if they're in the Cougar or not, but I know I have them in my F150. I put them in when I got the truck, May of 2004, so just over a year. I always drive with the lights on, but I hardly ever drive the truck in the summertime.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
01-02 Fog Light bulb from Sylvania website is a 9145 bulb. But in the manual is saying the bulb is a 893. I ran into the same problem with my 99, the book said 893 but they were H3's. You guys are saying the the 01-02 are H10 though....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
the only problem i had was when i took jscullins suggestion and modified the high beam bulbs to fit in my lows...bad idea, they both burnt out within 2 or 3 months...but i took them back to the store, and exchanged them for low beam bulbs (they didn't notice the little modifications i made with the dremel) and they have been fine ever since for about a year now...

·
Administrator
11,752 Posts
Originally posted by: djnes2k5
did anyone replace the 3157 turn signal if so where can i find the white one (silverstar) all i se is the amber
Unfortunatly APC is the only one I've seen w/clearish bulbs for turn signals.

Rasta, since posting I still have both bulbs working fine. Maybe yours burnt out because in Canidia you have daytime running lights?

·
Registered
102 Posts
right now i have some piaa turn signals pretty good look like low beam when blinking but as parking light its the only one i can see reflecting off a car in front of me during the day....but still very low

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Originally posted by: JScullin
Originally posted by: djnes2k5
did anyone replace the 3157 turn signal if so where can i find the white one (silverstar) all i se is the amber
Unfortunatly APC is the only one I've seen w/clearish bulbs for turn signals.

Rasta, since posting I still have both bulbs working fine. Maybe yours burnt out because in Canidia you have daytime running lights?
no, i yanked out my DRL relay years ago....its possible with all the fiddling i did that i may have inadvertently touched the bulb since it was the dead of winter and -25 degrees celsius outside and I just wanted to get the F back inside my house...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.