New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting a level 10 stage 3 tranny rebilt done to my car,, around fest time.. the reason why until fest is because my license is currently suspended, and the guy doing it (Jagular). lives in illionies. i was wondering if anyone can tell me the gains from (hp and torque), and also does anyone on here have a dyno of the stock and then upgraded to the level 10.. i want to see the improvement

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
HP and Torque gains will be a big fat 0...Zero, NADA, NOTHING...

The mods will reduce drivetrain loss, which is key. This will make the power making it to the wheels a higher number which is GRRRREAT. Plus with a firmer shifting tranny, more aggressively shifting one, cooler running, higher stall TC, etc etc you'll see less of a decrease in times due to heat and increased 1/4 mile times. Expect a half second or so to be dropped from your 1/4 mile (maybe more) on a stock car. Remember the more mods you have the more power you save at the wheels, the better the overall gains.

Tranny mods are no for hp, and since you're looking to drop alot of money here, I'd expect you'd know that.

I spent a pretty penny on my new MTX75. I chose optimal gearing (within my price range) to keep my rpms in the sweet spot of the engines power band. This along with snappier acceleration and better traction from my lsd, with overall shorter gearing I will show NO hp or Tq gains, but I can see .5-1.0 sec off all my times across the board.

Tranny work is basically taking the power being produced from the engine and optimizing it's outout to the ground.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do u think it is worth the money, im getting mine around 1800-2000 dollars.... with LSD and converter, and install

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
What is included in everything??

Cause there are many things that will help decrease drivetrain loss and increase the shifting (firmness etc). These will be good for some solid overall gains, no more actual hp or tq of course.

Followed by this question...what are you real goals for the car...cause if this car isn't gonna be raced alot, it's not worth that money.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
am not sure of everything what coms in it,, but it like me shipping my tranny to level 10, and doing the work. So its the came exact thing as me shipping it to them, but im having someone rebuild it just like that.. Also dont worry bout me not racing,, i have a suspended license for 30 over and recklessdriving... i race all the time every fri, sat, well i did before i got suspended

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looking at the Level 10 - 99-up Cougar/CD4E Stage 3 Kit includes the following...

All new softparts - Clutches, seals & so on...
PTS Hydrosystem - Valve body
PTS Torque Convertor - No stall speed noted
PTS Pump - Fluid Pumpd
PTS Super Solenoid - Solenoid Block Assy
PTS 1-2 ACC PISTON - Prosummably Sonnax piston kit. sonnax part number 73840-24
PTS PRESSURE REGULATOR & BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL KITS - Presummably Sonnax's CD4E Master Kit. Part number for this kit is 73840-MK
A Tech Manual
Assembly Lube
Tranny Flush
In-Line Filter

The clutches included are suppose to be Raybesto's Blue Plate clutch plate's, which are some of the best automatic clutches on the market. Although Raybesto's catalog does not list these clutches as avaliable for the CD4E, Level 10 claims that they can get them.

The Valve Body is just a rebuilt valve body. This valve body is not modified, just rebuilt. I was told, by Level 10 in an e-mail, that they were rebuilt with the transgo CD4Ejr kits.

From what I have been able to read about TC's, I don't care to much about what the stall speed would be. That is unless I was going to be doing some serious power modding in the future. But I do know that Level 10's rebuilt TC's are made a little different then one that you might get from a local shop. Most all their TC's feature furnice brazed construction, which means that they are much stronger then normal welded units.

The solenoid block is, well the solenoid block located on the valve body. I have no idea why they call it a "Super" solenoid block.

The 1-2 ACC Piston, PRESSURE REGULATOR & BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL KITS are Sonnax kits that are avaliable to correct some of the most common failures known to the CD4E. Sort of makes ya wonder why you are buying valve body now doesn't, since you could take the two kits above and rebuild all that needs to be done to your current VB. That is unless you know that your is totally shot and I am sure it's not. Even then, you can purchase a VB that has been rebuilt with all the Sonnax kit's above for $275. Hum!

Will you see a big increase in all this? Nope. As stated above, modding the tranny does not add power. But, also stated before, can help get more of that power to the road.

Good Luck..

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do u think that this is worth it... money wise, because as of right know, im not entering my car at fest for best system, no more w7's,,, im going full performance... im getting the tranny done a week before fest, and a turbo system 2 weeks before that, and nitrous somewhere between, im looking at having almost 350 hp at fest at the wheel,,,, i hope everything can work out,, i have started a payment plan for the turbo, and going to start saving for the tranny, but will this tranny help out with a turbo than stock, because alot of people told me that if i get a turbo i need to do a lot of tranny work, so im trying the next best thing.. what do u think?????

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm going to have to say it's not worth it. PM GrandMasterKhan. He will tell you all about his race with one of our fellow chapter members. He has a manual with mods, and the other guy, a level 10 tranny with mods. Khan said he smoked him like he was standing still. If you're going to spend all the money, just go manual. Once you go level ten, you're pretty much maxxed out on trans mods...but with a manual, you can add a new clutch, flywheel, differential, and other things for better results.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
PS - a turbo system AND nitrous?? I hope you're planning on spending some money forging your internals, or your engines gonna go KABOOM! shortly. After re-reading your posts I suggest you sit down and do a LOT of research, considering you're going by what other people tell you, and are asking how much hp/tq a transmission adds...and btw, a turbo kit and nitrous still won't get you 350 to the ground...

You would want to upgrade your trans (auto or manual) whenever you are looking to add a lot of power - think of it this way...if you were a world class runner, you wouldn't be wearing flip flops in the Olympics, would you? Think of your transmission as your car's shoes....it's not adding power, it's getting it to the ground. Fortification is key - whether it's beefing up a trans to deliver power safely, or adding stronger internals to handle the boost...

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well see the thing is, i dont know anything about any transmation, but the one on my car needs a new one or a rebuilt one, it slips gears, revs at high rpms, and bangs in shifting, and bangs in reveres.. i need a new one.. so i like speed and power so i desided to upgrade my performance instead of my audio system... im not getting the SF turbo charger, im getting a custom one. Im working on getting new pistons, my atx will soon be able to handle a good turbo when rebuilt, and im putting a 75 shot of nitrous ... dont worry about blowing the engine.. im not that stupid.. im paying 2 different people to do all of this work for me, and to work on my internals to handle the boost.. im looking at spending around 4grand for turbo kit with everything, 500 to install Turbo Kit, 2grand on Level 10 tranny stage 3, w/Pts Torque Converter Stall 3600-3800 and w/ install, 600 for nitrous and install, and 250 dyno tuning, and about 1 grand in internal upgrades. Total by fest $7750.00 i might be dumb at tranny's but i love speed,,, thats why my license is currently suspended for the next 4 months... do u know any place to get pistons for a cheap price but awsome quailty.......

Thanks

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
If you do all major mods like that you'll need a modded tranny to handle it...so yes it's a requirement now.

Before you think of adding the turbo with a straignt 75shot (a little high for me), you better rebuild your engine now...

A solid bottom end, with a a modded top end (high flowing), and a good tranny will helpp you reach nice goals, but that estimate of $7700 is not gonna cover all you need in the end.

Expect to drop more like $15K, after the engine is done. With all the mods you want I;d recommend you get the SVT UIM, Larger TB (65mm not SVT), high flowing heads, exhaust, etc etc. Optimize all the mods you want to add.

If not, you'll lose more than your license next time.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what would u recommand getting, like internel wise.... on the turbo kit, im getting the chip with the kit, downpipe, im getting a boost controller with the kit, FMIC piping, chip, 39lbs injectors from SVT a Spearco air to air intercooler with the new W.A.V.E. technology, oil lines and adapters also with kit, Bov and Intercooler, wastegate, the turbo is from Turbonetics, so there more but i think thats enought,,,, what eles should i get for the motor,, besides what u already listed

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
billetcoug, almost nothing you listed that comes with the kit is considered an internal.

When people talk about 'internals', they are literally talking about your engine's guts - crankshaft, rod bearings, rods, wrist pins, pistons, piston rings, head/valvetrain etc....When folks beef up their internals, they usually pick up a set of forged/hypereutectic pistons (dished or domed depending on what kind of compression they are shooting for), H or I beam forged rods, which are really strong, aftermarket rod bearings; that are going to be able to support those rods flying around during 6,000 rpms...new piston rings (many different options) to prevent blowby and such...and then like pgtatx said, you're going to want to get high flowing heads...also a lot of people shoot for lower compression ratios when they add forced induction to help with cylinder scavenging....add some SVT parts for more power, a solid intake and an exhaust (you're going to have to go bigger, like 3" to avoid backpressure) and you're looking around $5,000-$10,000 - and keep in mind this is JUST fortifying the engine!! Now you add a turbo on top of that, nitrous, a new transmission, and you are looking at LEAST $15,000. Plus, don't forget things always go wrong...things'll break, mechanics are going to charge more for certain jobs, etc....it's nice to dream about 350whp but power doesn't come without a price.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ii know hat internals are,,, i was listing the stuff that came with my turbo kits,, i know internals are stuff in the engine, u have to build the engine up for it to be able to handle all the pressure,,, i was just asking what all to u think i shouldbuild up internaly...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I cant wait to see that Turbo on a ATX. And to think you want nitrous and turbo, your just not being realistic. There is no way the tranny is worth it on a stock car, but for what you are doing, its a must. However, like Kel stated, a MTX swap would be much more appropriate. And 15K is the least u are talking about spending to make it reliable.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i know its going to be hard, but by fest ill have a level 10 rebuild, and paid off for the turbo kit, and nitrous, the thing is i dont know if i will have all my internal done, ill have the most important ones done but not all.... pistons, etc... ill also be running the turbo at a low psi.... i just want everyone to see my setup at fest..... i cant wait until fest, its going to be the sh**...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
the funny part no one mentioned is his suspension set up, ya gotta get that power on the ground, and matrix coilovers definately arent going to cut it. seems your looking to take too many shortcuts and you will pay for it in the end

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what do u mean the suspension??????? also i just found the perfect guy in conyers,(ATL) that is giving me the greatest deal ever.... he going to get me internals for cheap and help me get my turbo inj, but he said nitrous wont work.

Fest 6 mths counting

N

·
0 Posts
Man to be honest with you, this isnt being realistic. For everthing that you are saying, trusting a guy that knows almost nothing about our cars, with your car... If you honestly want to spend that much money on your car, why not take it to a reputable shop. Im not trying to talk down on you man, but you are going to get laughed at if you dont have all this stuff you are talking about by fest.... truth of the matter is you get what you pay for. If you want it done right I know the people to do it, if you want a ****ty setup thatll last you all but 10 minutes, go for it...

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay thats cool,, ill head with u this saturday to max performance and we will check it out.... DgnzCoug to the help....and right know this is what im trying to build up internaly.. New upper intake manifold, Throttle body, SVT cobra injectors, Pistons, rods, cams, main bearings, ARP head studs,.... if anyone eles has anymore opitons please share. I would also like to thank all the people on the forums for assitanting me in this major project.......

thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts