New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an egr tube from a junkyard for my 2001 mercury cougar that doesn't match the one I broke. The one I purchased is supposedly also from a 2001 according to the junkyard, but it's a junkyard so it could have been from an earlier model and they didn't know it.

Either the junkyard part is the earlier egr tube, or the motor in my car is not original, and they used an earlier style egr tube.

I have to call a bunch of junkyards again and see if they have it, but it would be great to verify which egr tube style I'm looking for.

The one I broke is longer than the one I purchased. I'll attach a photo.

I would like to verify that the broken egr tube in the picture is the 01-02 style. Thanks! :)
Scaled reptile Road surface Asphalt Wood Reptile

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
It is. The much longer DPFE sampling tubes are 01-02 exclusive. The 99-00 used a different style DPFE sensor that used longer rubber hoses and shorter metal tubes than the 01-02.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect, Thank You! Now I have to go down the list of junkyards that have 01-02 cougars again. This time I'll verify that it matches with a photo from them now that I know what to look for.
There is light at the end of the tunnel : )

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I could see the DPFE tubes changing, but shouldn't the EGR pipe be identical? This doesn't make sense.
If there really was a difference in the pipe length we would need different headers.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Rather than fighting with it, you could just delete it though.

Parts

Procedure

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
You would think they would be identical otherwise, but I imagine there might be some geometry changes in the placement on the exhaust manifold. Since the 01-02 had a different arrangement of oxygen sensors, things are most likely moved around a little to accommodate. Maybe the precatalyst is closer to, or further away from, the cylinder head, or the upstream sensor is relocated to compensate for their being no downstream sensor. I've never seen the two manifolds side by side, but that's gotta be it. They are definitely incompatible.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I wonder if the difference in the pipe has to do with auto vs manual or 2-bolt vs 3-bolt

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
I mean - obviously the EGR valve is in the same position/orientation on all years, as the intake manifolds are completely interchangeable. You can put a 98 SVT Contour intake manifold on a 2002 Cougar and the EGR valve will bolt right up. So the variance is on the other end of the pipe, obviously - where it connects to the exhaust manifold. I would be very interested to see a side-by-side of a 2000 vs a 2001 rear manifold.

Does MSDS have different tooling for 00 vs 01 headers? They would have to, if that's the case...

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I thought, when purchasing, we just had to specify 2-bolt or 3-bolt flanges but this is from NPG's site:

Automotive tire Font Groupset Auto part Bicycle part

So I guess so 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased an egr tube from a junkyard for my 2001 mercury cougar that doesn't match the one I broke. The one I purchased is supposedly also from a 2001 according to the junkyard, but it's a junkyard so it could have been from an earlier model and they didn't know it.

Either the junkyard part is the earlier egr tube, or the motor in my car is not original, and they used an earlier style egr tube.

I have to call a bunch of junkyards again and see if they have it, but it would be great to verify which egr tube style I'm looking for.

The one I broke is longer than the one I purchased. I'll attach a photo.

I would like to verify that the broken egr tube in the picture is the 01-02 style. Thanks! :)
View attachment 82322
I thought, when purchasing, we just had to specify 2-bolt or 3-bolt flanges but this is from NPG's site:

View attachment 82329

So I guess so 🤷‍♂️
It's possible the kid just sent me an egr tube off of a wrong engine also. They do look somewhat similar but that doesn't mean much.

On a side note, I really want those headers and to do the exhaust upgrade. It would be a good time to do it now if I am going to have the tube installed anyway...

And then I can do the uim/throttlebody upgrades lol. SVT uim's aren't that easy to find either but I guess they're out there? I want to snag one and just piecemeal the uim upgrade.

·
Administrator
15,609 Posts
This is dredging up old memories here. The EGR tube differences are between 99/00 and 01/02. MTX/ATX doesn't affect it. I learned this the hard way as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rather than fighting with it, you could just delete it though.
^This^

And then I can do the uim/throttlebody upgrades lol. SVT uim's aren't that easy to find either but I guess they're out there? I want to snag one and just piecemeal the uim upgrade.
They're not really hard to find either. I have at least 2, maybe 3 but I don't remember the numbers off the last one. Throttle cable brackets for the SVT throttle bodies is the tricky part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts