New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my door and window buttons with red led bulbs. It was the standard replacment bulbs with a maximum of 3 volts. I then tried to replace the leds in my center console button assembly. I took off the button cover to my rear defroster and replaced the two bulbs and when i plugged the fuse back into the back of the assembly the bulbs came on and then faded out and now will not come on at all. Do the leds in the center console assembly have a higher voltage requirement? And if so what bulb do any of you suggest to replace it. Any help is greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The leds in the Rear Defrost require a resistor. What happened is that you wired them up.. and you burnt them out.

You can get resistors at RadioShack. I forget the kind you need off hand but its super simple. If you have other questions just shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Is it just me, or do a lot of people call LEDs bulbs? Not bulbs, not bulbs at all. No voltage, candle power.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Actually I went through a couple led's because I was too lazy to put a resistor in, but it's necessary in some places. Thank God there are 3 Radio Shacks here in State College.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. I went to radioshack.com and could not find any 3mm led's (not bulbs my mistake)that could handle 12 volts. Does anyone know where I can order some of these led's at? And if not what kind of resistors do I need to purchase?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Go to radio shack and look for 470 ohm resistors. They'll come in a 5 pack.

LEDs.. Order them from Ebay. You WILL NOT find them cheaper anywhere. You can find 50 to 100 pack for dirt cheap. Some ebayers will even include resistors (for every led) for a buck extra.

Excel.. some people dont follow forums at all. Some people are new forums in general. If he didn't follow the thread then he didn't follow it. If you honestly dont want to help.. then dont post.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Oh yeah, led's get hot...let them on for awhile and touch them...you're right, they don't have filaments, but they still produce heat because they emit light. Bulbs actually produce heat because of the filaments, where as heat is a by-product of the light emitted from the diode.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seth -thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Excelcier-I did in fact look at the link and it was very helpful so thank you for giving everyone a walk through. But it did not say anything about where to purchase these led's besides and I was just asking questions because I thought that this sight was devoted to that. I am a newbie so don't worry about being rude because you have made me feel so welcome already.....

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Excelcier
Actually Jason, normally you and I usually agree electrically, however, LED's can get pretty warm these days. The high power LED's emit a decent amount of heat after a while.

It's been a while since I've played with any LEDs that run above 3V/2600MCD, so definitely a mistake on my part to make that assumption.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.