New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I lucked out in many ways by dating a woman who works for a national performance parts supplier. She can order parts at cost as long as she doesn't spend more than $2000.00 dollars a year. I asked her to check on a few things for my car. The first was a Borla exhaust which retailed in the catalog for $399.00. The at cost price would be $299.00. The other item I asked her to check on was one of the new G-tech's. The G-tech retails for $244.00 and cost would be $150.00 The point is that it sure opens my eyes to how much mark-up is on performance parts.

O

·
0 Posts
the way the aftermarket works is weird. seems everything else in the world, you buy from the factory you get a better price. but with body parts...it seems the retailers always have better prices. compare aerogears website prices to james...anyone wanna chime in on why it's so backwards?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I buessing because Aerogear dosen't really want to sell to the public, but dosen't want to piss anyone off by saying dealers only. Or they could have a high price to make it appear that the dealer has a super great price.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Brantly is exactly right, you can't exactly undercut your dealers by selling for less, it would put the dealers out of business. In many retail situations look for a 40-50% markup from "dealer cost."

Hypothetically a manufaturer sells wigits to wigit dealers for $5, the dealer sells the wigit for $10
now in some cases if the wigit dealers sells alot of wigits, the manufacture might charge them only 4.50 for the same wigit. Now keep in mind the wigit probably cost about 2.50 to make. You can't deny a retailer profit... but gouging is rough sometimes thats why I suggest shopping around.. ie Aerogear for example, some dealers do a much larger volume of sales than others... and often have greater discounts so are able to sell for less(remember different dealers do not all pay the same price)
Well thats all from me.. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow Eric I haven't heard the term wigit since economics class in ten years. You must have been one of the few that stayed awake during class. :)

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Actually, I never took an economics course... ;) Maybe I should have... LOL. I probably would've learned sumthun... ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cell phone accesories are the worst. Cost on cigarette lighter charger. $2.50. MSRP $29.99 Remember that's also Canadian dollars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts