New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my roof usually leaks when it heavily rains, so today i took out my headliner. I have an aftermarket sunroof in my car, and it seems that there is black sealant or silicone around the edges, but not in some places. So i want to go back around and fill in this entire seam. What should i use? Just regular black silicone and bead it around, or use an expoy type product or something else?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
i would just get some of the clear or black silicone and go around the whole outline. my girlfriends old car's back window leaked and thats what i didnt and it worked great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have a leaking roof but it leaks above the drivers window could it be my door seals or something else. I also have alittle leak by my sunroof but it is siliconed poorly im going to go around it with silicone on the roof and see if it stops it. Could anyone give me any ideas?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
Silicone won't help. Leaks around the sunroof - if it's the original factory sunroof and not an aftermarket job - are 100% always due to disconnected or obstructed drain tubes. There is a drip tray around the opening, so it is impossible for any water to get into the cabin until the drip tray is full. And if the drains are working, the drip tray will never get full.

You need to drop the headliner down a little and check the drain tubes. There is one on each corner of the sunroof assembly that leads off to the corner of the roof and down towards the ground. Make sure all 4 are pressed on tightly and not cracked or split. If those look OK, you might have an obstruction inside one or all of them. If you have access to an air compressor or something approximate, blow some air into the drains and make sure the path is clear.

Reactions: Jessy

·
Registered
12 Posts
It leaks there around my sunroof right in the corner so you are probably right this is the original sunroof also to my knowledge. It also leaks alittle on the left side by the drivers door. I will definitely be taking off my headliner and looking everything over. thank you for the help!

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Unfortunately that's an aftermarket roof so the best we can do is guess.
Keep B3nn3tts words in mind and inspect it to see if the manufacturer built in some sort of drainage system. If not, then you might have to take it apart and reseal the whole thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfortunately I just took it off and checked it out there is not drainage system or tubes running down this, so definitely aftermarket it leaks from a bolt on the passenger and I can’t find where on the drivers side when I was checking it so I’m kinda clueless on this.. should I try sealing it even though the sunroof works?

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
You cant live with it like that for long. I would probably take the whole thing apart to get down to the bare metal and put it back together with fresh new sealant.

Reactions: Jessy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts