New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to keep everything intact on the LCD screens, and simply put a filter behind the existing piece to get a new color, or is it required to pull the filter off and go from there?

·
Registered
517 Posts
are you talking about the lcds on the gauge cluster? they normally light up green, so youll need to lay the new color filter on the top of it. i believe thats the way everyone it doing it. try a search and see what you come up with.
josh

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh -- the gauge cluster LCDs, yes... I know I need to put another color to change it, but I'm asking if sanding the filter's green color off is actually required, or if it will just dull the coloring if I install a newer colored filter. A few previous threads asked the question, but no definitive answers were ever given.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I believe Nd4spd lightly sanded the green off and from what I have seen his are the brightest color change I have seen. PM him and he can prolly fill you in with exactly what he did.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I sanded mine, but thats weird you ask that. I was just thinking if you can make your own filter. out of printed peace of paper(color of choice) cut to size of filter and put where green filter was. Has anyone ever tried that?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yep... if you put another color over it, and leave the green on the factory filter.... its like you are "layering" colors... so it will be darker.

what i did was sand off the green, then just put (in my case) red electrical tape over the filter, then put it back in (color side up) and as Brandon saw - it really is quite bright at night.

*note*
if you want the screen to be red during the day too - install the filter color side up
if you want the filter to stay that whiteish/green tint color during the day, and color at night - install the filter color side down.

and only put the electrical tape on one side (the side the green coating WAS on) :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i was gonna ask if there was an LED replacement bulb for the ones back there...this is good to know..

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
use a gel filter... it will be the brightest possible change and you can still see it perfectly in daylight.. electrical tape is too opaque... trust me on this one.. plus if you don't cut the tape correctly or you overlap it you will see it.. with a gel filter you just need to cut the piece to the correct size and slide it in -- you will not be dissapointed..

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
heh, thats not what you & Mr.Intricate lines said... :biggrin:

as i recall, you and definitely Bryan was amazed at how bright my stuff was :)

but yes ...
electrical tape = easy & no money is required
gel filter = faster, but costs.
LED's... only you Ron :tongue:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
honestly though... its all the same mang

Crispy went gel, i went tape, ron goes led...
all our **** works the same in the end :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Matty.. that picture is OLD... thats electrical tape and don't forget that I have the first set of gauges Bryan ever made.. everyone elses backlighting has been improved on... what Mr. Winter and I commented on was your backlighting.. not your LCD screens... gel filter.. TRUST ME! I would snap a new pic but the car hasn't had a battery in it since October so there is no power to it and I am STILL dealing with that damn CAI crap..

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
hehee, ok ok, i'm not going to delare war on you over an lcd screen - thought it might make for some entertainment :tongue:

George! thanks d00d :)

but speaking of George... you have helped Crispy right? i'd hate to think my crazy wisconsin buddy has been left high and dry :(
speaking of AGAIN :rofl: at least you have a cai Chris, im still waiting for mine. heh... *hint hint G!*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts