New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea i just got my cougar a year ago ive put a injen intake, high flow cat, and exhaust on. could any one give me some advice on launching for quick ass starts :beer:

Edited due to language.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
First off, Automatic or Manual Transmission?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im straight at shifting and have a lot of experience can roast my tires pretty well too but was wondering what i do to launch quick

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
DO not do a long burnout when you go through the water trap. Try to get only one wheel in the water trap also. Then just peel out and drive through the gear, when you back up, do a few dry hops. Then stage. Launch at about 3,500 on the track. And get good tires. I do that and my 60' is always a 2.2x.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!!!??!?!?!?!

First off no one and I mean no one on here has any right to even be in the burn out pit!
Do you have slicks? no you don't you have radial tires and if you go through the pit you are
going to drag water up there and ruin your launch and the person that uses that lane after you.
Even if you spin your tires you are still dragging water up there and it absolutely isn't helping your tires.

im straight at shifting and have a lot of experience can roast my tires pretty well too but was wondering what i do to launch quick
Roasting your tires is pretty simple in a manual transmission car.
A good launch from a FWD car can really only be found through practice at the track.
I stage hop the RPM's to about 1,500 I never hold the RPM's in a certain spot.
then the second yellow drops and I'm gone and I still get wheel hop.
With my mods I can launch at lower rpm's though.

And dude seriously
coming soon........8 piece body kit, adjustable cams, headers, upper and lower manifold kits, and NITROUS!! VRRRRRRRROOOOOOOoooooommmmmmmm!!
adjustable cams :bs: :rofl::slap:

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
yeah, no burnouts.. just drive around the water pit.. then try a dry burnout if you'd like. People will get pissed at you if you drag water on the lane...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The way my track is setup, there is no avoiding the water trap. I absolutely must go through it, so i just get one tire in it, and basically do a small little peel. Then dry hop a few times. The guys that work for the track always have the mops out to clean up any water dragged onto the lanes.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
that's sucks for you man. You should ask them why sometime.
But for the rest of the tracks that I've been to and seen.
They are not set up like that. and they leave and area to
drive around them.

Sorry I came off kinda harsh in that post. I just get pissed
at our track when I see people drive right through the middle
of the pit and drag water up. then the guys mop it down but
there's still water up to like 60'

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yeah, I get what your saying, and that totally sucks. Dont worry, you werent a prick about it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I wouldn't suggest doing 'dry hops' heh... not good for the car...

Water is the enemy remember that. Avoid at all costs the water trap. This is what I do.... I launch at about 3200 rpms... maybe a little more. I don't drop the clutch... I give a nice steady quick release. make sure you don't ride it though. You shouldn't hop your tires at all.. actually you shouldn't even squeal them. It should be nice solid traction. This depends on track conditions of course. If the track is wet at all, your screwed.

I have 15" rims too, it's a hell of a lot easier to spin/hop them.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hold the brake down, hold the gas down.....let go. only true street racers know the different variations to this....

:rofl:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
with my track its set up that you have to go through the pit to stage, i drive over it then i do the peel. when i stage i let it rev to about 3.2ish i dont really watch it cause i can hear where i want it. with an atx im always pretty good on my reataction time my personal best is .509

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know man.....personally I find it pointless to do a burn-out on street tires. The rubber is not the same a slick or drag-radial so does not react the same to a burnout...they get no stickier. :shrug:

Just my thought though....I always go around the waterbox and stage. In the Cougar, I bounce the tach around and do a pretty fast feather on the clutch to avoid wheel-hop and traction loss.

--Adam

·
Registered
21 Posts
my street tires get alot stickier when i have some heat in them. it depends on the tire but my yokos deff gain some traction after a burnout

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was wondering that if you were to use traction control (on) wouldnt it be better to launch your car, cause the tires wouldnt spin and that would result in better times, if not correct me if im rong but im just asking.

Thanx

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Went to edgewater and I remebered that only slicks go through the water pit, but it's set up different. They basically spray the ground w/ a hose before each staging. I tried my best everytime to go around it, but you can't really. It was really gay, everytime the guy would spray my side, but not always for the other car (civic, jeep). I was like WTF?

·
Registered
135 Posts
my 02 cat has traction control correct? if so how do itake the god damn pice of flying mokey poop off?? its liek the only real time i can light up my kuhmo's is hwne i park the car on a metal man hole cover and do the whole e-brake brake gass spiin thing and don't get me wrong i leave some nice one and my mrks stay but its there another way or is this the only way to skin this cat?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts