New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I was visiting my brother and his girlfriend, on Saturday night we decided to out to eat so, we all piled into the Cougar, and headed out. As I pulled into the road, a guy in a late model Celica ('91 - '93) came roaring around a blind corner and was upset to find me in the road going considerably slower than he was. He proceeded to flash his lights, tailgate me and honk his horn in an attempt to get me to go faster. Knowing that road is heavily patroled (especially over Memorial Day weekend) I stayed around the speed limit. As we came to a set of lights, where the road splits from one lane to two, he pulled up on my left and I could hear him revving his little 1.6L as if that would impress me (I mean come on that little motor couldn't even displace a bottle of Coke). As I looked over at him he flipped me off and my brother immediately piped up making me aware he would consider me a "wussy" if I didn't beat this guy, I decided to throw caution to the wind and go for it (I mean come on, he upset me and my non-wussyness was at stake). I could see him rolling his car back and forth so I knew he has a 5-speed. Anyway, when the light turned green, I got off one of the best launches I have ever had. A little wheel chrip and we were off. By second gear he was looking at my rear tires and by third gear it wasn't even a race anymore, and that was with four of us in the car (my brother, his girlfriend, my girlfriend and myself)! About one half of a mile up the road I slowed to turn into the parking lot of Applebee's and the guy in the Celica went flying by with his flashers on. Maybe he thought he could have caught me if I had kept it up, who knows.

G

·
If it was a GT or a GTS, there motor isn't much smaller than ours. They have a 2.2L. Now an All-Trac you wouldn't be able to keep up.

G

·
155Cougar was talking about a 90-93. 2.2L was rated at 135hp. The All-Trac had a turbo-charged 2.0L for 200hp. Not to mention all-wheel drive

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not even.... It was an 90 - 93 ST. It is equipped with a 104hp I-4 displacing 1.6L. The reason I know is because my roommate in college had one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.