New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was parked at a friends house and noticed a small puddle of fluid under my car, I figured I'd drive home and check it out in the morning. When I looked the next day there didn't appear to be any more leaking so I went to work. When I returned home, I got out of the car and heard a tremendous spilling of fluid from the car. So I check under and tons of tranny fluid was pouring out. I was pretty sure that all of it had spilled, but I just checked the tranny fluid level, and there still seems to be fluid even up to the section of the dipstick where it says not to fill beyond this point. My question is, since I got an oil change just recently, could they have just put too much fluid, if that is the case, then is my car driveable and can I expect any problems due to the leak?

Thanks in advance,
Erika

EDIT: I just check the car in diagnostic mode and nothing came up, no warning lights, I put the car in drive and the rpms slightly go up and down and the car feels like it's gonna die.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
I would suggest draing the fuild and then refilling to the proper level. After the fluid level is at the proper level, try the following. With your foot on the break, shift through all the gears. If it doesn't engage the gears smoothly, don't attempt to drive it. If it shift smoothly into all the gears, take it for a short test drive and report back.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
you gotta remember alot of the fluid was in the tranny and around the torque converter, so the level of fluid at MAX may go down when you're driving the car, but you won't know it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I'm guessing you have an ATX. There is an overflow/vent on the ATX that goes to the engine bay. It's quite probable that your ATX servicing had put too much fluid in the transmission. If there is no flashing ! mark on your digital display (clock) don't be too concerned. Be sure to check underneath to check for leaks on the transmission.

If it occurs more, take it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts