New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt really so much a problem as it is an annoyance. I have the kuhmo ecsta supra 712's. I've had them for a few months now (a little under a year) and the tires dont look as "black" as normal tires. After i clean my car i put the tire shine on my car and the tires aren't very reflective. They still look wet, but not as much as they should and it quickly wears off. They have more of a brownish tint when normal than a black. They aren't dry rotted or anything or reallky look like older tires, but they dont accept the tire shine that well and have a brownish tint. DId this happen to anyone else? Is there anything i can do to the tires to treat them?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used a few, but generally i use meguiars tire gel or black magic tire spray. It works, but doesnt get as shiny if i would put them on a different car. It still shines up, but just not deep and doesnt stay long and then it gets that blackish/brownish color again

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Well I was going to suggest that its the brand that you are using.. I've used Mequires with no problem
on the same tires... as for the Black Magic I've only used it on golf cart tires.. and they did brown
after awhile.. my only recommendation is to scrub the tires very very well
and start fresh... Meguires also has a new tire shine in an aresole(spray) can I use that now.. and I love it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Matt, try washing your car. If you cleaned it more than once a year, than it wouldnt look so bad. Your tires are BROWN all the time, even after I sprayed the meguires tire shine on them, and used the meguires tire gel too.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
over time tire shine will start to crack your sidewalls
Mike

Documented proof? Cite your source please.

While I've heard this wives tale... I've yet to have this happen to any of my tires..

Most tires can begin to crack in one year due to enviromental exposure and the
natural properties of rubber... but then again your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
On many tires you cannot stop the brown from forming. It's natural. Many tire manufacturers now put extra additives to their rubber compounds to further reflect UV rays-making the tires "blacker".

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: EricF
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
over time tire shine will start to crack your sidewalls
Mike

Documented proof? Cite your source please.

While I've heard this wives tale... I've yet to have this happen to any of my tires..

Most tires can begin to crack in one year due to enviromental exposure and the
natural properties of rubber... but then again your mileage may vary...
Article in the 'Automobile' section of the Bergen Record Newspaper...sorry I don't have it it was from a while ago. Plus I got new tires last January they started to get small cracks in them over the summer. I don't use that stuff anymore. Tires should last more than a year.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had Kumho ecsta's on my probe and they did the same thing, I would wash and shine them and it would last less than a day and then they would turn brown. I solved the problem by getting rid of the car and buying a cougar

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
you might try this:
Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray
" Meguiar's Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray takes all the mess out of shining up your tires! With our exclusive Adjustable Spray Nozzle, (Patent Pending), you get exact control over the spray pattern: no more drips, runs or messy overspray. Simply select the appropriate setting for your particular tire dimension and then spray and walk away. Highly water-resistant polymers combined with Anti-Ozonant technology keeps your tires looking blacker longer, while preventing cracking, browning and premature aging. This high gloss formula gives your tires a "wet-look" with a dark shine."

G-12115 (Product can only be shipped via UPS Ground.) $4.99 add to cart

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, thanks, i didnt think i would get this big of response. Are you Mr. Meguiar or something, heheheh, you knew a lot about that spray. And yes pablo i clean my car i think a little more often than you. :kick:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Actually I have the same tire and I am currently using thats Meguires Hot Shine with adjustable nozzle, and I am not impressed. It wears off easily in 2 days and is not wet black looking at all,and it splatters all over the side of the car easily. Im going to try the Meguiars Gel next time because its thicker and seems better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts