New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when I start the car it immediately starts knocking. It seems to be RPM dependant. It seems to be comming from the lower part of the engine on the passenger side around the pulleys... and ideas as to what this could be... Sounds really bad to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just looked down where the problem seems to be comming from and i saw the lowest pulley toward the front of the car was wobbling...that's not normal is it? What is that for? My dad said that it seems to kinda go away as the RPMs get higher

thanks in advance for any info guys

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Umm ok ... the lowest pull toward the front is your Air Conditioning Condenser pulley, and NO this should not wobble... bad bad. Is your AC working properly?

Behind that while still low on the engine is the main crankshaft pulley (it powers the belt to the rest of the accesories) Above that is the Tensioner pulley.. This pulley is meant to move you put a 1/2 inch breaker bar in there to relieve the tension to change a belt. But normaly its applying enough force to take the slack out of the belt, it can go in and out but under normal idle it shouldnt move much.

If the AC pulley realy is wobbling it will probably need to be replaced then have your AC recharged, Unless the condenser is just some how loose but i doubt that. Then again im not sure how the AC pulley would get bent.

Oh and there should be a belt / pulley lable on your passenger side strut tower.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yeah it's the AC pulley. It's definatly wobbling. The A/C works..but i think it should be colder, i don't know.

Thanks for the info man, i guess i will have to have it checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.