New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy is getting the KLZE put in his ATX Probe. The KLZE is the 195hp japanese version of the '92-'97 probe and Mazda 626 motors. The UIM is strikingly similar in design to a 3.0 Duratec upper, as are likely the internals similar to a Duratec as well. The 195hp comes from high compression and hotter cam grinds. Kind of like a pre-SVT SVT style motor. Anyway, do you think he'll be able to beat me? I suppose he'll give me a run for my money but he's got a 130,000 mile old ATX and no other mods, not even intake... whereas ive got kinda everything you can do to a 2.5 but without svt cams and still on ungutted precats.

Dyno's show KLZE's put down ~168whp in a 5speed. edit: that # was with intake / exhaust

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, I used to frequent the Probetalk forums and those KLZE engines are pretty good, from what I've heard. I've seen a couple seeing over 310fwhp, turbo'd of course. Anyways, if he has a stock KLZE w/ an atx, you should be able to take him. I'm assuming you have a mtx.

My question is, why spend all that money on the engine and install if it's gonna go into an auto? But that's just me.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
The KLZE was also tuned in Japan to run on 100 octane gas, which is one reason it has a larger hp difference from the Japanese numbers.

They were a nice addition to the probe, but in an ATX it's still a 16 sec car (even low if that).

If we were talking about an MTX on the other hand, then I'd say much different.

So don't worry about it...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
My best friend has a 95 probe Gt with a KLZE in it and hes an automatic

his mods are a cold air intake, fuel pressure regulator, test pipe, and pacesetter cat-back (engine).......hes got tons of suspension stuff tho

his best time with those mods is 15.91 @ 90 IIRC, however, his tranny is sorta slipping, and hes running 93 octane, when he should be running 100, he did his best run with race gas from the track. also, if he had the J-spec ECU, hed prolly have more ponies from that too.

I pull on him all day long, if your car is MTX, dont worry about it:)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Yea i have a 5 speed... He's spending the $ on it cause his original motor **** the bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts