New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never really raced a GT-S before, for thus of you who knows me, I have an ATX and my car is just purly for show...people in Toronto area loves to race me and see if my car is what it seems....so, today, I had a run in wit a GT-S, brand new, red, a girl driver too..I wasn't sure if it was AT, or MT, but it was stock...I doubt that the girl and her boyfriend knows anything bout cars, they actually think their car can take a Cougar, god knows what their dealer told them again. But I knew there's no way they can beat me on city streets, maybe on highways.....so I reved my engine and let that intake suck in as much air as it wants...it was off, we were head to head for bout 1 second, until I heard the *****'s "Duratec" kicks in, and my intake suckin, my car started pullin away from her....until she gave up and switched land behind me.....I was pretty happy wit this kill, cuz I didn't tink I can beat a GT-S, and how Celica owners think their car is like Ferrari or something....just want to show em who's boss...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"they actually think their car can take a Cougar, god knows what their dealer told them again. But I knew there's no way they can beat me on city streets, maybe on highways.....so I reved my engine and let that intake suck in as much air as it wants...it was off, we were head to head for bout 1 second, until I heard the *****'s "Duratec" kicks in, and my intake suckin, my car started pullin away from her....until she gave up and switched land behind me.....I was pretty happy wit this kill, cuz I didn't tink I can beat a GT-S, and how Celica owners think their car is like Ferrari or something....just want to show em who's boss..."
by BlackDragon

ROTFLMAO!!
That's some funny sh!t. I needed a good lack-of-reality-laugh. If you indeed raced one and indeed won, I'm sure it was an auto or a woman who really wasn't racing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"So, you took a high 14 second car with your low 17 second car? Drugs are bad, umkay?"
by 2KEclipse

Good call.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
last i checked my car never ran a 1/4 mile in the 17s... in fact i'm able to run mid 15s with intake/exhaust so stock i should of been high 15s... and i surely don't remember a GT-S being high 14s stock.... more like low 15s... so that leaves all of about .75 to .5 secs of 1/4 mile racing difference... very easy to overcome by driver... heck even a good driver could slip up ... not to mention with a 6 speed tranny that gives you that much more to slip up, and the fact that VVTLi dosen't kick in until high rpms and it takes much skill to keep it there.... do remember that the GT-S is quick difficult to drive and will only put up thoses numbers when an experienced GOOD driver is behind the wheel.

just checked - my bad blackdragon has an ATX... so that driver must of screwed up cause the GT-S should of eaten him alive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Puck: 17's in the 1/4 on an ATX...he has an ATX, not a MTX. The GTS will do the 1/4 in 14.8-14.9 stock if driven properly...consult last month's Sport Compact Car for the info if you don't believe me (may have been 2 months ago...I can't remember). And every automotive mag (I know, I know, I'm trying not to magazine race here) has the Cougar MTX doing the 1/4 in the 16's. If one or two mags said this, I would not believe it. However, when all of them (Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Road and Track, SCC, Automobile, Autoweek, Import Tuner, Turbo, etc...) say the car runs 16's in the 1/4, I tend to believe. Granted, I have seen you guys pull off some really good times with mods but that's a whole different story. I'm not trying to start anything here, you know that, I'm just "having a little fun" with this one since it does sound rather erroneous.

EDIT: I just noticed your edit Puck...so you caught it before I could point it out, no harm done

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
at first i beleived him, i beleive myself could take on just about any GT-S out there (besides modded ones) because they are so tough to drive and i consider myself (so does my instructor) a very good driver who knows when to shift and how to do it quickly without losing ground or power.... but when i read the ATX part (see previous edit) i though that the driver in the GT-S must of missed something somewhere.... cause an ATX is slow on the cougars

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not one to disagree with people for their tales, i got thrashed and branded a liar for posting that i beat a prelude, but if you had a MTX, i could agree, but the lethargic ATX? i don't know, thats pushing it. They run 10 seconds on 0-60?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guys? excuses me here...the whole race was bout like 10 seconds in between, there were a lot of cars, I knew in fact the Celica started racin me at first, and I did take him off start, but whether or not she was still tryin or not, I don't know....so, just relax, okay...plus all you people laughin at me? you think if I really want to race, I would buy a Cougar? I just bought it for show, and I think I successfully did that? I got invited to shows everywhere and all that, I really don't give a fawk, aight, just wait til I get my race car, then we see we's laughin......is it against the fawkin law to share a story? and who lets ignorant GTS guys in the Cougar forum anyway??

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Since no one mentioned it yet, the truth about what tranny the GT-S had isn't really known...and from what I hear, ATX Celicas suffer the same (or more) acceleration loss from that tranny as the Cougar. I think ATX V6 vs. ATX GT-S is a driver's race.

...IF that GT-S was an ATX...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes kaynyp, the GT-S auto suffers the same fate as the Cougar ATX. That sport shift thing is pretty cool but probably a gimic more than anything else.

BlackDragon: well....I've actually been here longer than you have and I owned a Cougar before you did as well. As far as your comments....I'll let them speak for themselves, they certainly enlighten us into your own little world

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
No offense to the ladies, but if there was some random girl driving it, my gut instinct says 95% chance it has an automatic transmission. Sorry, make that 99%. That makes things a lot closer.

I once raced an auto GTS in my '96 honda civic hatchback. I lost by about 1 car length at 60mph. The automatic absolutely murders a high-revving car like the Celica GTS. Notice how the Civic Si, GS-R, and ITR only come in stick? There's a reason for that...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
interesting point chez, balackdragon did you notice rear discs? if it didnt, it was a gt, i don't thing the gt is available with rear discs

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
"So, you took a high 14 second car with your low 17 second car? Drugs are bad, umkay?"

if that's the case, then I'm a racing crackhead. some people have a kill list...here's my "die" list:

Ford F-150 Lightning
Honda CBR600
Mercedes SLK Kompressor
Audi TT coupe
97 Camaro Z28 (3 times)
67 Cougar XR7
a few others I don't remember

the Celica GTS doesn't seem so fast after all, now does it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of my buddies has a stock Celica GT, MTX... he can get me off the line, but as soon as we're up to 35-40 MPH, he's toast... at 90 MPH, I'm a good 3-4 car lengths infront of him....

But then again, my Cougar is modded a little...

Never went up against a GT-S

Shon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"if that's the case, then I'm a racing crackhead. some people have a kill list...here's my "die" list:

Ford F-150 Lightning
Honda CBR600
Mercedes SLK Kompressor
Audi TT coupe
97 Camaro Z28 (3 times)
67 Cougar XR7
a few others I don't remember"

by BigKat

Damn dude! What were yout thinking in racing that Lightning! I'm sure you had fun at least. Kind of like the time I tried to race an M5 (knowing I would get beat) and I just laughed my ass off because he blew my doors off.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
funny thing those were the exact same words my brother used when he was in the car with me. I guess I was kinda counting on some sort of miracle to happen so he would run out of gas and I would win by default. you know how those things are on gas...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
BigKat, I just thought you might like this then, I beat a Corvette, no really I did and I was completely stock at the time.

ok, he stalled it when the light turned green

AND BOY WAS HE PISSED, AT THE NEXT LIGHT WHEN HE LOOKED AT ME AND I WAS IN THE LEFT HAND TURNING LANE!!!!!

He flipped me off, so I just laughed at him and slowly pulled away waiving goodbye.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

OMG...that was the one of the funniest stories yet...I guess that bigshot got what he really deserved! now I'm jealous that I don't have any "world's biggest a-hole" stories of my own

btw, if ya don't mind, could you pls download my car pic from my page listed in my signature, and upload it to your site with the other member cars? I know it looks like all the others, but I wanna be part of the club...I wanna I wanna I wanna!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.