New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent had to much experience/ heard with kicker amps for subs....does anyone have any installed or have any opinions on them???
I was looking into rockford and JBL but they are real expensive..... Please let me know thank you.

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
Kicker will cost you a pretty penny as well. But from what I've read and seen they're amps are pretty good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i was checking out the kicker website and I'm not sure which amp would do the trick for my two subs....I'm a little new at this audio stuff...been trying to do as much research as i can.....

Sub specs : power acoustiks FUBR-12 ......750 RMS, 1800 MAX....

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what amp would be right from kicker?.....are mono amps able to be split up to power two amps? I was under the impression they couldnt....

Thanx for the replies =o)

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
the 1200.1 would be good..Its 1 ohm stable. Thats not the latest model its last years but they still run around $320. on ebay..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Element designs?? Never head of em....Thank you for the suggestions.....I'm not much of an expert, but i dont want to under power my subs...i've heard that underpowering them causes them to blow more then over powering them...and this from friends that know what they are talkin about and from some reading i've done...

I dont think that 1200 watts will cut it, will it???

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
trust me the NiNe.1 will push what ever you want. 1200w is at around 12 volts most cars put out close to 13.8 and at 13.8-14 it pushes around 1500w. I am pushing 1 kicker L7 12 with it and its about enough to make u wanna scream when u turn it up. Thats with the bass and gain at MAYBE 1/4

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you honestly want a good match to the subs, save the money up for the nicer amps...

yeah, i love kicker amps, but for the money you can get so much more...we had one Solobaric L5 running at my work (circuit city) w/ one of those small Audiobahn 800watt intake series amps, and that thing was AMAZING...

I'm getting a Solobaric L7, runs 750 RMS, 1500 Peak...but instead of going w/ the kicker amp i'm going with the Infinity REF1211A...1200.1 amp, runs 854 watts RMS at 4 ohms...would be a perfect matchup w/ your subs...

also, if you ever wanted to upgrade the subs, at a 2 ohm load, the amp cranks out 1300 RMS...something to think about...

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Infinity is not a "nicer" amp they are a cheap amp. Just cause they make nice stock crysler h/u dosent make there amps they best and for the price you are going to spend on that amp the NiNe.1 will do the same thing

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by: Monteknical
Element designs?? Never head of em....Thank you for the suggestions.....I'm not much of an expert, but i dont want to under power my subs...i've heard that underpowering them causes them to blow more then over powering them...and this from friends that know what they are talkin about and from some reading i've done...

I dont think that 1200 watts will cut it, will it???
simply underpowering a sub will not cause it to blow. how do i know that? because every speaker in world would blow if you turned the volume down.

ugh?

that's right. if underpowering speakers causes them to blow, then you would ALWAYS have to supply the recommended wattage to that speaker. anything less and they blow, right? so how come speakers don't blow when you turn the volume down? it's because distortion and clipping causes speakers to blow, not underpowering.

there's a great article that goes into it a lot more than i can here.

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
The misconception with this one, is that if you're underpowering your speakers, to make it louder you're turning up the gain. However at the same time your boosting the distortion level. Once it gets to that point. You're still underpowering the sub but you've ampligifed the distortion level..The distortion is what kills it. If you were to set the levels properly you could play it all day on smaller amps, you may not get the sound level you want, but you could do it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx for the clarifications on under powering, thats basically what i was trying to say but didnt know how to say it...

And I went with the kicker sx1250.1.....what you guys think? =0) did i do good?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.