New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if I'm a moron for doing it or a genius for figuring it out so quickly...

1. take a cheap wire coat hanger and straighten it out, no need to cut

2. carefully slide it (pointy end first) between the glass and the rubber seal (pass side), ....you could use another tool (like a flat screwdriver) to keep the gap in the glass wider ....careful tho, it's your cougar!

3. you're aiming for the lock switch on the top of the door panel, take a high angle approach and bend the wire as needed as you slowly work it in there

4. the doors unlock once the button is pressed (of course)

This is a good reason to get an alarm I guess

I'll add this to the knowledge base :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
perhaps we can use this thread to use by answering my question:

I just bought another car (Winter car actually) and it did not come with a trunk key... the ignition key opens all the doors and starts the car.. but when I try to open the trunk with the key it clearly does not fit.. so then I noticed that there is a trunk lock on the floor near the drivers seat which is some sorta child security thing where you lock it there and then if you push the lock down you cannot use the trunk release in the inside of the vehicle.

Long story short is that someone did push the lock down therefore I cannot pop the trunk at all without having that key.. is there a way that I can dismantle or pick that lock that is on the floorboard of the car so I have access to the trunk??? I hate having a car that I can't open the trunk on - especially after I just bought it site unseen on e-bay - there could be a dead hooker or gang member in there ...

HELP!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't think the thread should be deleted.
Our cougars don't have a full door frame, they are stupid easy to get into, anybody can see that.

You don't need a coat hanger either, I locked myself out of my cougar last winter and
just used the antenna and pryed the window open with my hand.

1.(PROTECT YOUR STUFF-IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, THEN KEEP IT OUT OF SIGHT)
2.Don't advertise what you got either.
3. Get an alarm if your worried about getting jacked.

Crispy, have you tried going through the rear seat? Perhaps you can pry back the rear seat or unbolt it and see if you can get in that way.

The trunk release would be cable actuated. Could you "get under" it, by taking apart the dash or sill or wherever it's located and then
try releasing the trunk.

There are sites out there with pick kits and jimmy sticks, but i know nothing of picking locks.

You could always drill it out too, but then you're going to need a new lock.

·
Rockin' Mom-mobile
8,010 Posts
When my son locked my keeys in the car, we had police break into the car. He had this wire with a loop on the end of it. He used it to pull the door handle open. The alarm goes off, but I then just grabbed keys and shut it off.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
when the alarm is enabled (aka you hit LOCK on the remote), the interior unlock switches are disabled
I just did a little test on this one... I sat in my car and turned the alarm on and locked the doors. The switches on both sides did not work. The hanger method still can work though... When most people lock their keys in the car, they leave them in the ignition. Slide a coat hanger through the passenger side window and aim for the keys instead of the lock switch. If they are in the ignition, they should be very easy to grab.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
NOTE TO SELF: at cougarfest hide my car from everybody :tongue:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: Crispy
I hate having a car that I can't open the trunk on - especially after I just bought it site unseen on e-bay - there could be a dead hooker or gang member in there ...
heh, well i mean you DID only pay 600 smackers for it! you're lucky thats ALL thats wrong with it.. specially from ebay :)

and um... get Wayne or Jimmy to open the trunk... just incase there IS a dead hooker or mob boss in there! :rofl:
on the other hand, there could be a million dollars worth of crack, and you could be rich! heh!

seriously though, bring it to a ford dealership or something... explain to them, and they should be able to hook ya up.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Crispy just JAM a flat screwdriver in the trunk lock... and twist... ;)
More than likely the trunk lock was at some point replaced.

Not knowing what your winter beater is, If you can get in the trunk from the backseat
I'd go in that way, and open the trunk. As for the trunk release on the floor, its probably just
cable acuated... I'm sure taking it apart would work..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Originally posted by: EricF

Not knowing what your winter beater is..
i believe it's a taurus. that's what she said on the teamneco forums.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny my winter beater is a '92 Probe, and I was easily able to unlock it from the outside as well....just a diff technique :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
This happened to me once. I have a remote starter and they needed one of the original keys to install it so i only have 1 key for the cougar because i didnt want to pay the $100 for an extra key from the dealer cause it has a chip it it or something. Well you all know that lockdown sound it makes when you lock the doors. Well i turned my car on using the remote from in the house and when i went outside i had to clear snow from the car. Now my starter goes off in 15 minutes so i put the keys in the ignition to keep it running while i cleaned the snow off. As im cleaing the windshield i just hear the doors lock for no reason at all. I was like no.....ran and grabbed the handle and of course it was locked. So im standing in a foot of snow thinking great, my car is running and i have no other keys for it. So i go and grab the other remote that starts it and think well, i guess ill just have to try starting it again and hear that horrible noise it makes when the car is already on and just hope that it will unlock the door somehow. Well turns out whenever i push that button again it just turns the car off and the doors unlock so it turned out to be an easy solution to what i thought was going to be a huge problem.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
can I just jam a screwdriver into the floor lock of the car? - yes, its a Taurus and no it does not have any type of rear fold down seats for trunk access... if I jam a screwdriver in the rear of the vehicle AKA trunk lock won't the trunk never lock again? I don't want to be drivin and bam up opens the trunk..

I don't doubt that the trunk lock was replaced.. I can physically take the ignition key area and turn it by hand around and around about 100 times.. I think this car was jacked at one time.. hopefully not just before I bought it from someone else.

I tried to remove the key while it was running but that does not seem to work.. heh!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: Crispy I don't want to be drivin and bam up opens the trunk..
:rofl:
That would be awesome... you could just tell people "yeah, thats my automatic spoiler... it comes up whenever i hit a certain speed"

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarKat
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
Originally posted by: Crispy I don't want to be drivin and bam up opens the trunk..
:rofl: That would be awesome... you could just tell people "yeah, thats my automatic spoiler... it comes up whenever i hit a certain speed"
its the special limited edtion Ford Taurus with the wanna be Porsche spoiler
and a dead hooker.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts