New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my new key, and my spare is slightly bent and cracked so I don’t like using it a ton...

I would normally go to the KeyMe kiosk but they are closed so to the current situation.

I called ford and they said $60 for key, $199 for programming.

The owners manual has a page for programming keys.

If I get the key made for $60 I can use my spare and program the new key yes? Or do I need 2 working keys.

·
8,492 Posts
I’ve always heard that you can program a third key, but not a second key. If that’s true then it’s dealer time. In fact, many people used to recommend getting a third key for that reason.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
When I put the SVT ecm in my car I only had 1 key to my car. The dealer programmed the 1 I had plus made a second. I dont know exactly what number the keys were listed as in the ECM but that kinda sounds like what youre talking about. It was a bit more then 60 bucks though

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Skater is correct - you need 2 good keys already if you want to program more yourself. If you only have one key, it can only be programmed by accessing the ECU software, which dealership techs are able to do.

There is an app called FORScan that - it has been said - will access the appropriate software parameters to program keys. I have it on my phone, but I've never looked into it enough to see if this is true. You need a bluetooth/OBDII adapter to access your ECU using your mobile device.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Forscan for me was hit and miss. My silver cars ECU it did the keys. Where as the ECU out of another one of my cars it wouldnt do. So my guess is its kind of like tuning software used to be and only works with some of the strategy codes. If memory serves FORScan wasnt that much and an OBD adapter can always be useful to have so its worth a shot.
For some reason I remember it being around 150 bucks to have a key cut and both programmed to my ECU but that was going on 10 years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts