New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cougar is a 99 V6. If I would buy a keyless entry remote and program instructions off of ebay would it work on my car? See, the car was reposessed from the first owner and I bought it from the second owner. So how would I know if the car has keyless entry or not?

·
8,582 Posts
If it has the module the remote should work. There was a thread very recently about finding and identifying the module...

·
Registered
311 Posts
yeah that was my thread lol. Apparently there's a common convenience package that includes cruise control and I think those extra overhead warning lights. If yours has them, the only way you don't have keyless doors if it someone special ordered it specifically without them at the dealership. Also the module is like behind the glove compartment or something but nobody had a real picture of it. There's a test too. If I remember correctly, just cycle from the third ignition setting to the second one 4 times in a row and if nothing happens, you don't have a remote system. If some stuff blinks or something, then you do.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AHHH. Still haven't gotten this ? resolved. K, my car has fog lights, and cruise. No rear wiper! Sooo, I guess I have half the convience pkg? I don't know. The car has all the warning lights, 16" rims, disc brakes....I don't know how to tell if I have the keyless entry thing.. I tried finding that box under the passenger dash and didn't really have any luck...I saw a green connnector, a blue, a brown, LOTS of wires:banghead:. HELP YOU GUYS! I really want to buy a remote off ebay if it has it but I need YOUR help!! And what does fob mean?

·
Registered
231 Posts
AHHH. Still haven't gotten this ? resolved. K, my car has fog lights, and cruise. No rear wiper! Sooo, I guess I have half the convience pkg? I don't know. The car has all the warning lights, 16" rims, disc brakes....I don't know how to tell if I have the keyless entry thing.. I tried finding that box under the passenger dash and didn't really have any luck...I saw a green connnector, a blue, a brown, LOTS of wires:banghead:. HELP YOU GUYS! I really want to buy a remote off ebay if it has it but I need YOUR help!! And what does fob mean?
Hi 99CougTRX.:wave: You can take your car to any Ford or Lincoln/Mercury Dealer and have them run the VIN through the system. It can tell them the build date, options etc. They can then tell you if you have the Keyless Entry System as an option. At this point, it would be quicker and less painful than waiting for us to figure it out.

That being said, the question I can definitely help you with is "What does fob mean?"

The "fob", or "keyfob" is just the name for the little remote control you are wanting so badly. It is the little black remote with the "Lock", "Unlock", "Trunk" and "Panic Alarm" buttons on it. It has a ring on it, and you can hang your keys from it, hence the name "keyfob".:banana:

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi 99CougTRX.:wave: You can take your car to any Ford or Lincoln/Mercury Dealer and have them run the VIN through the system. It can tell them the build date, options etc. They can then tell you if you have the Keyless Entry System as an option. At this point, it would be quicker and less painful than waiting for us to figure it out.

That being said, the question I can definitely help you with is "What does fob mean?"

The "fob", or "keyfob" is just the name for the little remote control you are wanting so badly. It is the little black remote with the "Lock", "Unlock", "Trunk" and "Panic Alarm" buttons on it. It has a ring on it, and you can hang your keys from it, hence the name "keyfob".:banana:

Thanks. :)...the only thing that I know is that my car has half the conveince pkg...it has cruise and foglights. maybe the rear wiper was deleted or something...idk, thanks anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
I am still wondering who possesses this magical computer that they run to check options. A vin is just a vin, all it contains is the year engine and a few other things, Ford will look at you crosseeyed if you ask them to run a check for which you speak of.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am still wondering who possesses this magical computer that they run to check options. A vin is just a vin, all it contains is the year engine and a few other things, Ford will look at you crosseeyed if you ask them to run a check for which you speak of.
EDITED - I edited this post today, to add more information.

Hi Drew.:wave: You are mistaken. Why would it be so unusual that Ford would keep easily accessible records of exactly what they built and sold? And while there is one Technician in the Service Department at my Dealership that keeps looking at me crosseyed, I think it's only because he really is crosseyed!:rofl:

I think your confusion is coming from the VIN# comment. Among the things you mention ("year, engine and a few other things"), a VIN# also notes the vehicles "Production Sequence".

A Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealer's computer system simply cross references the VIN# and the "Production Sequence" to obtain a detailed equipment list for every vehicle Ford produces. The VIN# is just the vehicle identifier that Ford inputs into their computer system to allow the cross referencing to the "Production Sequence" information.

Any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealer can run your VIN through the Ford system. As I mention above, the system then can access the production sequence of your vehicle. The records of production sequence and how a vehicle was equipped when manufactured are kept for obvious reasons, as Ford/Lincoln/Mercury need to know how your vehicle was equipped from the factory for warranty purposes, recalls, etc.

As an example, this is how Ford will know to send you a recall notice if your car is equipped with "cruise control" and is covered in a "cruise control" recall, and not to send your neighbor a recall notice when he has the same year and model car as you but it is not equipped with "cruise control". An auto manufacturer must know how every car it builds is equipped.

The Dealer can even print out a copy of your MSRP Window Sticker (which certainly would be another way to tell someone how their car is equipped).

Of course, all of this depends on the competency of your Dealer, and their willingness to be helpful.

I am quite familiar with the process.

Getting back to the original question asked by 99CougTRX. If you cannot determine whether you have the "Keyless Entry" on your own, go to your local Dealer's Service Department and ask them to pull the information through their system. If they say they cannot, go to another one that is more competent.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, well I called Ford and gave them my VIN number and ask them if they could tell me the options on my car and they couldn't. They said that the VIN I gave them couldn't let them check, idk....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah, well I called Ford and gave them my VIN number and ask them if they could tell me the options on my car and they couldn't. They said that the VIN I gave them couldn't let them check, idk....
Hi99CougTRX. Sometimes we all just have to go the extra mile. Bring your car to a Lincoln/Mercury Dealer and have them check your car on the system.

Let's face it, whether it is the correct way to do business or not, many people are not willing to go out of their way for a voice on the phone.

That is why I stated to go to your local Dealer, not to just call them.

Sometimes you need to put some extra effort in if you want assistance.

PS - If you would like, post your VIN here and I will try to get the info for you. However, it would be much easier if you would just go to a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealer with your car. If you insist on posting here and not going to the Dealer (it would be nice if you would do the work), please try not to mix up the 0's and O's, 8's and B's. etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi99CougTRX. Sometimes we all just have to go the extra mile. Bring your car to a Lincoln/Mercury Dealer and have them check your car on the system.

Let's face it, whether it is the correct way to do business or not, many people are not willing to go out of their way for a voice on the phone.

That is why I stated to go to your local Dealer, not to just call them.

Sometimes you need to put some extra effort in if you want assistance.

PS - If you would like, post your VIN here and I will try to get the info for you. However, it would be much easier if you would just go to a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealer with your car. If you insist on posting here and not going to the Dealer (it would be nice if you would do the work), please try not to mix up the 0's and O's, 8's and B's. etc, etc.
I don't want to bother anybody to THAT extent...but I want you to know, I have a full time job and don't really have time to go to a 'local' dealer. I kind of live in the boonies, and the nearest dealer is like 50 miles from me. About an hour away from my house. It's just too far for something so petty. This Cougar board is suppose to be a convienent way of obtaining information. Telling me to drive 50 mile from my house is not convienet. Sorry if I made anyone mad by asking this question? :confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't want to bother anybody to THAT extent...but I want you to know, I have a full time job and don't really have time to go to a 'local' dealer. I kind of live in the boonies, and the nearest dealer is like 50 miles from me. About an hour away from my house. It's just too far for something so petty. This Cougar board is suppose to be a convienent way of obtaining information. Telling me to drive 50 mile from my house is not convienet. Sorry if I made anyone mad by asking this question? :confused:
Hi 99CougTRX.:wave: My apologies for the misunderstanding. I was not mad, and I don't think you made anyone else mad. I had no idea how far you live from a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealer. How would I know that information? When I said "Sometimes we all just have to go the extra mile", I didn't realize it was an extra 50 miles for you!:cover:

Now we know you live 50 miles from the nearest Dealer. That explains why you were reluctant to drive to a Dealership. You did not tell us that before. And please do not get unduly upset, as we were trying to give you information. I just did not want to make a bunch of phone calls to ask for favors for something that most people can just go to the Dealer for on their own (Again, not knowing you lived so far out in the boonies).

You must admit, yours is an unusual situation, as most of us do not have a 50 mile drive to a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealership. I probably have a dozen or more F/L/M Dealerships within 50 miles of me.:eek: Heck, we have 5 within 15 minutes of my house.

However, to put things in perspective, I did not tell you to "drive 50 miles from your house", since I did not/could not know you had a 50 mile drive.:confused: You said you called, and they could not help you, I stated that you would be better off driving there, as many Service Departments do not give much priority to phone calls (unfortunately). How would I or anyone else know you have a 50 mile drive until you just informed us?:shrug:

Knowing someone has a 50 mile drive would make most of us more willing to put out some extra effort, as opposed to thinking that the people asking the questions are just too lazy to drive there themselves or look in the Owners Manual (you must admit that does happen here quite often), and want others to do the work for them. I also have a full time job (and have for 30 years).:cool:

I hope you better understand the circumstances of my reply now?:grouphug:

Back on topic for a minute. I did not quite understand what happened when you called the Dealer. Did the Dealer take the VIN, check it and say they could not come up with the information you needed (e.g., did they say it was an incorrect VIN or would not come up in the system)? Or did they tell you there was no way they could ever get that type of information for you?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi 99CougTRX.:wave: My apologies for the misunderstanding. I was not mad, and I don't think you made anyone else mad. I had no idea how far you live from a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealer. How would I know that information? When I said "Sometimes we all just have to go the extra mile", I didn't realize it was an extra 50 miles for you!:cover:

Now we know you live 50 miles from the nearest Dealer. That explains why you were reluctant to drive to a Dealership. You did not tell us that before. And please do not get unduly upset, as we were trying to give you information. I just did not want to make a bunch of phone calls to ask for favors for something that most people can just go to the Dealer for on their own (Again, not knowing you lived so far out in the boonies).

You must admit, yours is an unusual situation, as most of us do not have a 50 mile drive to a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealership. I probably have a dozen or more F/L/M Dealerships within 50 miles of me.:eek: Heck, we have 5 within 15 minutes of my house.

However, to put things in perspective, I did not tell you to "drive 50 miles from your house", since I did not/could not know you had a 50 mile drive.:confused: You said you called, and they could not help you, I stated that you would be better off driving there, as many Service Departments do not give much priority to phone calls (unfortunately). How would I or anyone else know you have a 50 mile drive until you just informed us?:shrug:

Knowing someone has a 50 mile drive would make most of us more willing to put out some extra effort, as opposed to thinking that the people asking the questions are just too lazy to drive there themselves or look in the Owners Manual (you must admit that does happen here quite often), and want others to do the work for them. I also have a full time job (and have for 30 years).:cool:

I hope you better understand the circumstances of my reply now?:grouphug:

Back on topic for a minute. I did not quite understand what happened when you called the Dealer. Did the Dealer take the VIN, check it and say they could not come up with the information you needed (e.g., did they say it was an incorrect VIN or would not come up in the system)? Or did they tell you there was no way they could ever get that type of information for you?

It's ok. :) It just sucks living 50+ miles from a dealership so I really rely on these forums for info. But yeah, I called the dealership and gave them my VIN# and specifically said " Sir, can you tell me if keyless entry was an option on this car?" He told me that the particular VIN# I gave him didn't tell him. I don't really know what he meant by that...had it been a different Cougar with a different VIN# he may have been able to help ...what's wrong with my VIN# :confused: If I could locate the module myself knowing what to look for, that'd be nice...but I don't know what I'm looking for......:disgust: lol
Maybe, I could try setting the alarm off manually? How would I do that?

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's ok. :) It just sucks living 50+ miles from a dealership so I really rely on these forums for info. But yeah, I called the dealership and gave them my VIN# and specifically said " Sir, can you tell me if keyless entry was an option on this car?" He told me that the particular VIN# I gave him didn't tell him. I don't really know what he meant by that...had it been a different Cougar with a different VIN# he may have been able to help ...what's wrong with my VIN# :confused: If I could locate the module myself knowing what to look for, that'd be nice...but I don't know what I'm looking for......:disgust: lol
Maybe, I could try setting the alarm off manually? How would I do that?
Hi 99CougTRX.:wave: I was going to recommend that, but figured someone must have already had you try it.

Good idea, since if you have the "Factory" alarm system, you would automatically also have the "Keyless Entry".

Open your driver side window all the way and leave it open. Be sure your passenger door, hood and rear hatch are fully closed. With your drivers door open, lock the doors with the power door lock switch and then close your drivers door. Wait about 5 minutes for the system to arm (it should arm immediately, but let's play it safe and wait). When five minutes have passed, reach in through the open driver side window and open the door using the inside door handle (do not touch the lock buttons).

If you have a properly functioning alarm system, this will set it off. If no alarm sounds, you either do not have the "Factory Alarm", or you have a non-functioning system.

To stop the alarm, insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the "On" position, or start the car, or insert your key into the door lock and turn to unlock it (according to the Owners Manual).

Just keep in mind that according to the Owners Manual, it is possible to have the Keyless Remote Entry System without having the alarm system. In other words, you can have "Keyless Entry" without the Alarm System, but you can't have the "Alarm System" without the "Keyless Entry". However, in my opinion that would probably be a rare occurrence.

Let us know how you make out, and good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi 99CougTRX.:wave: I was going to recommend that, but figured someone must have already had you try it.

Good idea, since if you have the "Factory" alarm system, you would automatically also have the "Keyless Entry".

Open your driver side window all the way and leave it open. Be sure your passenger door, hood and rear hatch are fully closed. With your drivers door open, lock the doors with the power door lock switch and then close your drivers door. Wait about 5 minutes for the system to arm (it should arm immediately, but let's play it safe and wait). When five minutes have passed, reach in through the open driver side window and open the door using the inside door handle (do not touch the lock buttons).

If you have a properly functioning alarm system, this will set it off. If no alarm sounds, you either do not have the "Factory Alarm", or you have a non-functioning system.

To stop the alarm, insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the "On" position, or start the car, or insert your key into the door lock and turn to unlock it (according to the Owners Manual).

Just keep in mind that according to the Owners Manual, it is possible to have the Keyless Remote Entry System without having the alarm system. In other words, you can have "Keyless Entry" without the Alarm System, but you can't have the "Alarm System" without the "Keyless Entry". However, in my opinion that would probably be a rare occurrence.

Let us know how you make out, and good luck!:thumbsup:
CRAP!! Doesn't look like I have an alarm...man, this sucks. I still love the car though. I tried all your steps, no luck. Thanks alot though. Big help :)

·
8,582 Posts
Hang on - I just tried BBF's suggestion on my car, and the alarm didn't go off. And I do have keyless entry. (I didn't wait the 5 minutes, but c'mon...)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hang on - I just tried BBF's suggestion on my car, and the alarm didn't go off. And I do have keyless entry. (I didn't wait the 5 minutes, but c'mon...)
Hi 99CougCougTRX, and Skater.:wave: You need to re-read my post. I explained that possibility. Here is the quote from my previous post: "Just keep in mind that according to the Owners Manual, it is possible to have the Keyless Remote Entry System without having the alarm system. In other words, you can have "Keyless Entry" without the Alarm System, but you can't have the "Alarm System" without the "Keyless Entry". However, in my opinion that would probably be a rare occurrence."

"Keyless Entry" and the "Factory Alarm" were two different options. You could order the "Keyless Entry" without ordering the "Factory Alarm". But you had to order "Keyless Entry" to order the "Factory Alarm".

So the door test is not 100% foolproof for determining if you have "Keyless Entry". If an alarm went off, you definitely have "Keyless". If the alarm does not go off, it only definitively proves that you don't have an alarm.

If an alarm did not go off, there is still a chance you have a Cougar that had "Keyless Entry" without a "Factory Alarm".

To try and explain it another way that may be more understandable: All cars with "Factory Alarm Systems" have the "Keyless Entry System", but not all cars with the "Keyless Entry System" necessarily have the "Factory Alarm System". Any clearer? I didn't think so. Even I don't know what I'm talking about anymore!:rofl:

In other words, skater has the "Keyless Entry" option, but not the "Factory Alarm" option (or he has a non-working alarm).

It was a shot in the dark. We are now back to having a competent Dealer check the VIN versus the Ford database.:banghead: Or you can purchase one of the "Keyless Entry" remotes cheaply and follow the directions in the Owners Manual to program it. If it programs, great, if it doesn't, return it.

·
8,582 Posts
Sorry, I have the alarm. Sorry for not making that clear, and thanks for clarifying your statements like I'm some kind of idiot. :rolleyes:

I tried it again - there must indeed be a delay, because it worked this time after I let it sit for quite a while. It didn't work the first time when I let it sit for 10 or 15 seconds, something like that, but after an hour of sitting, locked, when I opened the door, the alarm went off.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, I have the alarm. Sorry for not making that clear, and thanks for clarifying your statements like I'm some kind of idiot. :rolleyes:

I tried it again - there must indeed be a delay, because it worked this time after I let it sit for quite a while. It didn't work the first time when I let it sit for 10 or 15 seconds, something like that, but after an hour of sitting, locked, when I opened the door, the alarm went off.
GEEZ, an hour? I waited for about 2-3mins....maybe I'm not waiting long enough. I'll try tommorow....

·
8,582 Posts
GEEZ, an hour? I waited for about 2-3mins....maybe I'm not waiting long enough. I'll try tommorow....
An hour is probably overkill. I set it up then went and surfed the web, then on my way back to the laundry room (I have to go through the garage to get to my laundry room) I tested it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts