New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 99 V6 MTX with sunroof, 16" wheels and spoiler. No rear wiper or cruise. I've done some searching and reading and determined that keyless entry is in the convenience package along with rear wiper and cruise. Then I found another post stating the lack of cruise and a rear wiper but keyless entry was there. I picked up my car second hand and it didn't have a FOB but would like clarification on this.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have both packages, 99 V6 with 16" wheels, spoiler, cruise, warning lights, and keyless entry. But I'm not sure if this option was part of one of those packages or just an option you could add, like the leather seats or the traction control. If you're trying to see if you have keyless entry, I would think the first tip-off would be the blinking red security light that is activated when you press the lock button. It's in one of those square buttons by the rear defroster and traction control buttons. Other than that, I'm not really sure how that option was chosen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's another thing I forgot to mention. I do have that blinking red light in the dash and I've heard conflicting reports on it as well. Some say it's a part of keyless entry and others say it's just anti-theft ignition whereby it needs a coded key to start the car. I'm really confused with this.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
well when i got my car in june 00.. I remember there were like 4 packages. convenience package, light package, sports package, and fun and sun package. the breakdown was something like:

convenience package - keyless entry, and some other things
light package - dome, map, glovebox, trunk, fogs
sports package - 16inch alloys, spoiler, sport seats, leather wrap, cruise cntrl?
fun and sun package - sunroof, diff spoiler, etc

leather and traction control were not in any packages from what i remember and is why i never got those. :/

if i remember correctly, you could get any part of any package and mix and match or you could specifically get the packages. i think the light package was included when you got both convenience and sports packages.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
Keyless entry went hand-in-hand with the gonzo "security" system, right? So that means if you have the car alarm, you also have the keyless entry, I would think. The best way to tell if you have the alarm is to look for the hood switch, up behind the passenger's side headlight.

Check out this photo. On the left hand side, just above the headlight and below the coolant tank, is a little black plastic button with a ribbed sleeve around it. Right where the lower coolant hose disappears into the front fascia. That is the alarm sensor that goes off when the hood is opened. The only way to arm the alarm is with the keyless entry remote. So if you have a sensor->you have an alarm->you have a remote->you have keyless entry.

Try that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen, you guys never cease to amaze me. :bowdown: Thanks for all the info. I was aware of the alarm with keyless entry but not the sensor locations. I just looked and I don't have that hood sensor so I guess I don't have the alarm and don't have keyless entry. I'll have to spring for an aftermarket one I guess. Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate to burst bubbles but for as much sense as the whole "hood switch" makes, it doesn't hold true. My car has every feature except side air bags, power passenger seat, AND keyless entry. To this day I'm still blown away that my car didn't come with keyless. I went to the dealer and they flipped the ignition several times and had a remote and my car didn't respond. Does anyone know where the "little black box" that would be associated with keyless is located?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.