New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a spare key made months ago from the dealer and sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. I heard that if you cycle through the ignition it will code itself. I need it to have a remote starter installed. PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

G

·
How to program spare PATS key: You need to have both original keys. You cycle one key (turn to the on position) and then cycle the second key. Then cycle the new spare key. It's that easy. If you don't have both original keys you have to take it to a dealer that has to program the key which takes about an hour. Oh and this was for 99-01 cougars but i don't see why it shouldn't work on 02's.

G

·
the program instruction is in your manuals and you need to have both original keys. or the dealer will program it for you with 55.00

Jimmii

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
When I bought my car it only had one key and one remote lock fob, and I asked where the other was, and they told me at the other dealership the owner has, and they'd have that, the floor mats, and the owner's manual the next time I went in. Guess what, they couldn't find anything except the owner's manual, which I'm sure they had laying around anyway, but as a favor to me they'd give me a second key. So the manager took me to the back to make an appointment because he told me it would take 2 hours to do, and the guy at the service desk told me it would only take like a half-hour and they could do it now. So I figured, sure, I'll wait for a half-hour, but there was no way in hell I wanted to wait for two hours. Well, the guy hooked up somewhere in the car to a computer, all the while I thought it was programmed through the ignition. To make a long story short, if at all possible by now, I ended up spending over two hours that day while the dolt tried to figure it out, and it still wasn't done right and I had to go back for another hour while it was redone. The problem probably was due to the fact I didn't have the original second key. I figure the worst that will happen anyway is I'll lock my keys in my car, and I'll just unlock with the other key and start with the original, but you never know. It seems the owners are the only ones that can't start their own car sometimes, that thieves still don't have a problem.

Whole story in a nutshell--> try to get somebody that at least looks like they know what they're doing code the key, unless you like wasting time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts