New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if theirs any down sides to using stock pistons with forged rods. Not looking to make power, just reliability. Forged rods gets rid of the "Stretched rods" theory, for why duratecs keep spinning bearings.

Also, can you bore out the block to 3.2l whilst using the stock pistons? Or does that somehow make it more unreliable?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
yes forged rods will be much better , and no if you bore it then you change the bore, and you need new pistons to match the bore size

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I wasn't planning on doing any of this myself. The block will be freshened up at a machine shop.

I really wanted forged pistons too, but $1,200 USD?...(thats like a billion canadian dollars btw :poke:) My highschool income cant afford that :banghead:.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
you can get a custom pistons made for like 600. call up cp pistons

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Gord is that guy we all need who lives around the block and has like sixteen hotrods in the driveway and backyard, and always has 'that one tool for that one job I need right now.' your insights are fantastic, I swear.

Lost, do these engines really spin bearings all that much? this is the first I hear of it! :eek:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gord is that guy we all need who lives around the block and has like sixteen hotrods in the driveway and backyard, and always has 'that one tool for that one job I need right now.' your insights are fantastic, I swear.

Lost, do these engines really spin bearings all that much? this is the first I hear of it! :eek:
I mean, for us they do. The junkyard engines we got were ticking time bombs because the previius owners probably let the oil get low. I made the same mistake, the oil light flashed, and then a month later it spun a bearing.

I want to know why the user Skater spun a bearing. He bought his car new and kept regular maintenance on it and it still spun. I thought that maybe he had stretched a rod, which is why i wanted forged rods.

Also me and my dad just have bad luck.
5 spun bearing
1 low compression
1 dropped valve

7 engines total so far. Engine #8 is going in my dads car in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
i replaced my stock rod bearing with clevites at 90k. the stocks looked almost new. and 10k later it spun out of no where. i didnt open my new engine...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts