New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty happy to find a K&N filter in my stock airbox after I bought my car.:biggrin:
But I wonder if it's almost as efficient as having a K&N CAI? The stock box seems to be designed for cold air induction anyway, though I know I'm missing out on some awesome intake sound.
I've read a lot about it and everyone says "stock box too restrictive Blah blah)
But if the performance improvement during regular(legal) driving is negligible...
Is it all about the sound in my case? then I won't invest $ into CAI just yet?
Approximate numbers would be useful too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
even if you go the ebay CAI route, the cai is more beneficial...

sorry don't have numbers, and waaaay to drunk to search for them, but they are on here somewhere IIRC..

EDIT- however I believe they proved the short intake (not the full cai) was just barely better than stock air box due to heat soak... but i could be wrong on that!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
K&N's kit is a SRI. The stock air box with a K&N is probably even better then the SRI on a stock engine. Once you start modifying ie h/e SVT stuff, having a true cold air intake would be beneficial.
There are lots of threads about this, it's a decent read but give it a search and read a few it will really help you decide what you want.

If you do want a SRI, get an ebay kit then pick up a used extension in the FS section, or get a NPG extension.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,940 Posts
A cone filter has a ton more surface area than a flat panel.

The stock tube is corrugated like an accordion to control induction noise. It also serves to restrict the flow of air.

Large filter + smooth passage = more air to the intake.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Regardless, a SRI is less restrictive than the stock box. There's nothing in the way between the filter and air like on the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
A cone filter has a ton more surface area than a flat panel.

The stock tube is corrugated like an accordion to control induction noise. It also serves to restrict the flow of air.

Large filter + smooth passage = more air to the intake.
came in to post something similar, but realized i posted already apparently last night while a bit faded... :flushed:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.