New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about heat soak and bringing outside air in to keep the air temp down for performance got me thinking about something..

Have any of you ever touched your upper manifold after having the car running for alittle while? That MoFo gets hot! So is it really worth it to cut this and snake that to bring in cooler air, just to have it heated right back up from the intake manifold? If anything we should be trying to figure out how to shield the upper intake manifold a from heat along with bringing cooler air in. I believe somebody from CEG got there manifold ceramic coated just for this reason. I know there is no way to keep all the heat out, (lower manifold, heads)... but if we are going to nit pick about gettting cooler air in and heat soak and which intake system is better, we mine as well look at the whole deal.

Right?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It might be the difference of cold and hot. Would you rather have cold air and heat it up from the intake, or hot air and heat it up more? The upper intake temps will probably be higher than the IAT.
Matt

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Would it be safe to say that taking off your hood would bring in cold air?

I know, silly question, but I am working on something.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I was talking with trevor today about the same topic. I now have an sca intake, pro flow maf, svt tb, and extrude honed upper manifold. All that stuff gets so hot when driving. I just got the visteon scoop that i will be installing in the next few weeksand i am going to cut out the hood so i am actually sucking cooler air into the engine bay. you would think air flow would be adequate with the front bumper being so open

G

·
I've posted a tip on how to reduct heat soak a couple of times over the last year on this board that I believe is very effective.

The best part is that it's free!

Simply remove the rubber strip between your hood and firewall. See my post dated 5-6-01 in the previous thread: "Heat soak a problem..." for more details. I can't really claim credit for the idea, since I got it from a Neon board a couple of years ago. They claimed it was actually good for 2-3 hp. I really think this is worth the cost ($0) and time (1 minute) it takes to do it.

G

·
I pulled the rubber strip off more than a year ago, and have noted no difference on my temp guage, never overheated, etc. Of course, it's easily reversible so you can try it for yourself and see if you think it effects your radiator cooling, heat soak, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
actually..I was very skeptical to that rubber Idea..but recently cuz of the heat I have been desperately seeking ways to ride the heat soak. Hell I even removed the black pieces under the wipers to see if theres some way to drill holes to allow all that hot air out. but I couldn't, the strip helped a little, not enuff tho, I had Z3 fenders and rite now I'm deciding on whether or not the following is a good idea,
The vents on the fenders go no where, they end up into the fender and what not, so I want to try to drill out the fender so holes actually go into the engine bay. Now..what does this do since the fenders point backwards? Nothing, it wont take in more air and whatnot..But I dont think the problem is needing more cold air in the engine bay..its gettin rid of the hot air. So incoming air will force the hot air out thru the sides as a kind of exhaust, It creates a constant flow of air, works better with kam hood I suppose..but you alwayz have cool air..and for the throttle body..I guess this would help cool it a lil too huh?

G

·
Hey what about that one heat shield available for sale on the NECO homepage (not John Miks', but the DG Motorspors one) for $75? Is this any good?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think there is a misunderstanding on the rubber strip. Either that or I'm just thinking wrong at first it was said Simply remove the rubber strip between your hood and firewall then later someone is talking about the radiator I assume they are talking about the ramp like thing coming off the upper grill which is not near the firewall Just wanting someone to clear it up or smack me so I can realize what you guys or taling about. Thanks Patrick

G

·
I went out and tried removing the rubber strip between the hood and the fenderwell. I first went out on about a 15 min. with the rubber strip in place and took digital readings off of the cars computer. I averaged between 192 and 199 degrees at the stoplights. I then removed it and went on the same drive and averaged 198 and up to 219 degrees at the stoplights. So my test shows NOT to take it off. It would be great if a few other people would try this out so that we can compare the results just to make sure it wasnt just my car.

G

·
My 95 Contour had a hoodliner (carpet) and I yanked it. It makes the engine a bit louder and I think helped a bit with heat soak. But I just rigged up a $3 heat soak. I will keep you posted.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i'm gonna kinda do what craig was talking about cuttin hole in hood... i want to do it do but what i'm gonna do is actually put a filter there and somehow using small rivets and pieces of aluminum gonna rig like some rails so i can slide a flat piece of aluminum in and out for when it's raining... the alum going in and out will be lined with rubber to do a good seal... i've always wanted to cut the hood but the dirt inside there told me not to....after looking real hard at it over the weekend that is going to be one of my many solutions for heat soak

G

·
Won't you guys need to have some kind of a screen or something to keep dirt, leaves, bugs, and other debris out if you cut a hole in your hood? Just curious!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
that's why i said i'm gonna fit a filter in there, or maybe just a very fine mesh screen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.