New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up I have had my cougar for 3 years now and I just moved to San Diego from Boston. I actually have a couple questions. Whats the tint laws out here cuz ive been here for a week and I already got pulled over for having to dark of a tint on the door windows? Second I cant get a smog check because they say my injen intake is illegal I need to have some kind of carb sticker, I dont even know what a carb sticker is. And last what is a good auto body in san diego I want to get my car painted completely.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm really not sure of the tint laws, however the carb sticker normally is a yellow sticker with a nuumber on it that the smog people can look up. If the number exists in the computer then it's smog legal. There is a really good paint shop called Goldcrest. They are excellent. People come from all over socal to get there car done there and they aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
the law is that you can not have your driver or pass side windows tinted at all...all you can put on them is a clear UV protect film...the other windows you can spray paint black if you want to.

you think your moving to a cool place..the truth is its hard to have a modded car here

you can get a ticket for

intake
exhaust
tint
to low
header

and more but i think n e more right now

there is alot of street racing here and the cops are hard asses...and they wont think twice befor asking you to pop your hood.

i have no idea what im gonna do in 3 years when i need to get it smogged..proby sell the car.

welcome to socal neco :)

ps how did you find out about NECO?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome to SoCal.
Besides what Ryan said above:
Lights!
No red exterior lights on the front half of the car.
No blue exterior lights PERIOD.
Any neon lights.
Our side markers must flash amber.
That little amber triangle piece in our headlights should not be removed.

I'm not saying that none of us here deviate from these California laws, I'm just saying if you get pulled over...

As far as a smog check, yes your Injen Intake will fail the visual inspection. You'll have to re-install your stock box. If you left it in Boston, I still have mine (2001 V6) if you want to borrow it and install for your next inspection. All I ask is that you return it when done.

Gary

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got the sticker from injen so im gonna go and see if i can get it smogged checked tomm. The guy said as long as I have the sticker it should be ok. Chances are I will probably fail the smog test anyways. Yea so this is turnin into a big pain in the ass likeverything ive done to my car i have to take off. Ive actually been a member of neco for awhile i think I joined in 2000 but I never really post to much on here. Well Ill let ya know how it goes tomm.

·
RIP CougaH
5,269 Posts
Welcome to the area :)

As far as tint goes... since you bought it in another state, i'm not sure that you would have to remove it, as long as it was legal for you to have back in MASS... unless they require that you meet all cali laws before you register it in Cali :shrug: might be something to look into ;)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Originally posted by: DEVIOUSDEV
Welcome to the area :)

As far as tint goes... since you bought it in another state, i'm not sure that you would have to remove it, as long as it was legal for you to have back in MASS... unless they require that you meet all cali laws before you register it in Cali :shrug: might be something to look into ;)

i can help you out on this one dev....when i drove my civic from another state i had the pass and driver side tinted....and thats ok to drive around in cali with..but once you get Ca plates you have to rip it off...i found that out the hard way...even tho if its illegal where you came from they have no idea or dont even car cuz its out of there reach.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Originally posted by: hamann
I'm really not sure of the tint laws, however the carb sticker normally is a yellow sticker with a nuumber on it that the smog people can look up. If the number exists in the computer then it's smog legal. There is a really good paint shop called Goldcrest. They are excellent. People come from all over socal to get there car done there and they aren't too expensive.
Ehem......

Goldcrest Autobody to be exact. :biggrin:

There phone number is (619)229-8802 ask to speek with Ebon. He'll do you real good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well today I was talking to a buddy of my next door neighbors who happens to be a california highway patrolman, so I asked him what the deal is and he told me that once I take residency in cali I have 20 days before i have to get plates or remove the tint and I am well in that range so he took my ticket signed it then we went to the police station and got it taken care of. But I have to remove the tint before i get the cat registered in cali so basically im back where i started i have to take it off, but atleast i dont have to worry about the ticket.

Now onto better things I dont know if anybody will have a rough price estimate of how much it will cost me to do some body work on the door, front bumper, and rear bumper and have the car completely repainted the original color? If nobody knows its cool i'll just call goldcrest on monday

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Well unfortunately I do not know how much it will cost you. However if you go to (or call) goldcrest auto they will work with you, plus throw in that you got a lower quote from somewhere else, but have a ligit name handy. That will help out a lot. Plus the more you get sdone the better deal you will get from anyone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I sold the cougar and bought a F-150 so I guess that solves my problems

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
wow that was fast!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol yea ive been thinkin of gettin one for awhile and i found a good deal and the cougar was just to much of a hassle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts