New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my resenator removed at a local muffler shop and I love the way my exhaust sounds now. Before you couldn't hear it at low rpm's but now it gives a nice growl at low rpm's and really screams at high rpm's. I also felt like the car was pulling a little harder after I had it done. Should I be feeling this or is it just in my head because of the extra sound.

G

·
really stupid question...under the car with the stock exhaust...which is the muffler and which is the resenator??

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by: SamuraiCougar
The one in the middle of the car is the resonator the one at the end is the muffler.
That is correct. I replaced the one on the end with a performance muffler and I didn't get as much sound out of it as I wanted so I got the resonator cut off and now I love the sound. Now when the Civic's and Eclipse's in town rev at me my car will have something to say back.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are both mufflers. one is the center muffler and the other is a rear muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The center muffler is there to reduce flow. It is a muffler, but its there for a dumb reason. Stupid emissions. Get that removed. You car will have slightly better airflow, and thats why you will hear the exhaust more and feel a little bit more power.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
yea but when you replace your exhaust with a catback the center muffler stays.

Mike

·
Registered
408 Posts
Originally posted by: tropiccougar01
The center muffler is there to reduce flow. It is a muffler, but its there for a dumb reason. Stupid emissions. Get that removed. You car will have slightly better airflow, and thats why you will hear the exhaust more and feel a little bit more power.

Mufflers and resonators do not affect vehicle emissions. They are installed only to quiet the exhaust. Yes, like all stock mufflers, the Cougar center muffler reduces exhaust flow but; that's just a function of how it's designed to quiet things down.

If you don't want to spend the Bling for a new catback system, I agree with BigKat in replacing the rear muffler with piping. Here's what I did Removed Stock Rear Muffler w/Pictures. You can't beat it for less than $40 and about an hour of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.