New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding to the list of "just curious" threads....I ask this.

If you knew then, what you do now...would you still choose the Cougar? I guess I don't mean "regret"...I just mean, if you had to make this decision over again, would you have chosen the Cougar?

I know I would not have. Not that the Cougar is a "bad" car, and it has not been "bad" for me....but there are/were better deals out there. I have been lucky, working where I work, and doing what I do, my car has not been a problem for me....the typical cost for repairs has pretty much been nothing...thank Christ.

But in hind sight, I would have either taken some money and put it into my Eclipse, rather than spend it on the Cougar. Or I would have opted for a different car, one that does not have such a high repair cost on it, and one that parts are readily available for.

Mine will be gone in a few months, but I will not reget buying it. I will look back on this car, as I do with all my old cars, with fond memories. This was the first brand new car I ever bought...hell, I peeled the plastic off the hood when it arrived. I will remember the fun times I have had it in, racing, crusing, screwing. But I can't say I will be sad to see her go.

How about you?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I dont regret purchasing my cougar, as much as i regret doing any modifications. I wish my car was bone stock and the money was in my hands. I feel like im at the point where if i dont continue modding my car, it will look incomplete.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
i enjoyed the cougar for 2 years and don't regret buying it, i do however regret trying to trade the thing in since the value has fallen wayyyy too much. the car has had quite a few problems, but they've all been easily fixed so i didn't mind all that. but to make a long story short, no i don't regret buying it, but i will be proud as heck when i get rid of it. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's a tough question... I've had all kinds of problems with the Cougar and I am not satisfied overall with it. On the other hand, without buying it I would have never met any of the NECO people. I have had many a great times working on Leo Capaldi's car getting it ready for the racing season, watching his son Craig race at the local track, going to different mod meets, and just hanging out with the MC-NECO group.

I guess I would buy the Cougar again just to meet the people. But I would definitely have to go with the 5 speed this time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The only thing I regret is not getting as much ass as I should've. In the car that is, well any at all wouldve been nice! Thats besides the point though. I love my car and hope to pass it on to my kid some day.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I don't regret the Mercury Cougar purchase so much as I regret that it was built by Ford.. and thus I am at the whims of what I consider the absolute worst automobile manufacture for vehicle support.. My local dealer is stocking only SUV's and Trucks now, and has given up selling and servicing automobiles. Sooo, if I want my broken sun roof repaired it is do-it-myself or go to a body shop. :disgust: .. this is definitely my last Ford and probably my last American car.:shrug:

·
Administrator
11,560 Posts
I don't regret buying the car. And I would most likely buy it again if I knew then what I know now. Only thing I would change would be that I'd get an MTX. Which is what I was on the brink of getting, but I had an X-Plan that expired at the end of the month and I desperatly needed a new car (no MTX's in my color in the area).

In fact, I was selling my car for a while in order to trade up to an '02 XR MTX. Long story short, I didn't sell it because of cell phone issues & Sprint. But if my car were to be totaled tomorrow, I'd look for another Cougar.

It was exactly what I was looking for when shopping for a new car. It looked like nothing else on the road...and the price was right in my ballpark ($16k from the $18,5k sticker w/my X-Plan). But let's say if my car were totaled & there was no way for me to get another Cougar w/the features I want....I'd go pick up an old muscle car and a beater for winter. '69 Firebird...'68 GTO....'68 Cougar....'69 Camaro. I love em all.

M

·
0 Posts
Agree with John, would've gone with MTX. However, knowing what I know now, and NOT taking into consideration the quality issues we had (or a LOT of people on the boards still have), but more down the line of our family planning, I would've/should've gotten a 4-door for the Mrs right away, so I could've kept the Coupe, or gone with a RWD vehicle.

When we traded it in a couple of weeks ago, I was VERY HAPPY to leave it there, I had more issues with leaving my Megane in Holland, however, I still look at the Cougar as a great designed vehicle.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
The only things i regret about the car - that i didn't buy it new and that it didn't have a sunroof, as cursed as they are, i've never had a sunroof. Well, this is only my second car, so i'm sure i'll end up with one eventually.

The Cougar is loaded, it's black, and pretty much everything i've ever wanted. It's given me few problems. It handles like nothing i've ever driven before. Sure, i could handle a bit more power but it's quick enough most of the time. And it gets noticed.

As for how i acquired the Cougar... how much research and so forth? My car had a leaking head gasket, i needed a new car to go to work that night, i printed off a bunch of cars in the price range i could afford and ended up trading up from the new I4 that i could afford to the used V6 that was about the same price. Another decision that i don't regret. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Only change for me would have been an mtx.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
i love the looks of the cougar. the only thing i regret is not going with my sister to pick out the car (she picked it out before i was into cars). i would have made sure she got an MTX, and the 6 cyl. that is the only thing i regret.

but Lepak91 said something very true. i think NECO is one of the few reasons i have not sold my car for something else.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have no regrets about the car. My current Cougar is a silver 2001 V6 ATX and it is leased. When the lease is up in March I will plan on buying it. My previous Cougar was '99 Spruce Green ATX V6 and I liked that one too even though it went to the dealership a few times for recalls. When the lease was up on the '99 it was at the time when the Zn came out. My dad actullaly wanted me to get it but I thought it was too flashy for me. I was also worried that it could attract attention to cops and I was also worried about insurance. So I ended up getting one in silver and I've very happy with it. I feel good about buying my Cougar because there are so few cars out there today that I really like. This is still the best looking car on the road.

N

·
0 Posts
I have no regrets. I love my car as if it were my first born. However, all things must come to an end, and one must purchase an 03 Cobra.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm extremely happy with mine. No problems thus far. I still love my Cougar and would do it all over again. I love how unique it is instead of there being one on every corner.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
I have no regrets. I love my car as if it were my first born. However, all things must come to an end, and one must purchase an 03 Cobra.
i test drove a 04 black cobra convertible and i must say, it made the evo i almost bought seem like a civic. are you really thinking of getting a cobra george?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Knowing what I know now, I would have chosen the cougar over any of the other choices I had. Back then, the cougar was low on the list actually, but now I am very glad I bought it.

However, I would have kept my car much more stock, and I would not have put nearly as much into my car, especially my stereo, because I have reduced the car to one big rattle trap. That is my biggest probelm with the cougar, how bad it rattles. I have driven or ridden in the biggest peices of crap on earth and even they rattle less than the cougar. Just driving around my neigborhood I am never sure the thing isn't going to collapse.

Quality is not job one.; it is the penulitimate job, right ahead of service. Losing money, therefor destroying stock value is job one.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
i would have gotten a mtx as well, only because I'm sure the flywheel wouldn't be crapping out for the second time within 61,000 miles.

Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't regret getting mine. I like the way it looks and so do the ladies :thumbsup: . I just wish it was faster.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts