New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
joining the ranks of the community......update 31oct05

well my engine finally gave i have rod knock and valve ticking, she isn't smoking so she isn't completely dead. But i am not driving her.

I just placed an order for a 02 taurus 3L 32k

I have svt cams,uim,lim,tb,cable,bracket, inj

on this list of doing this engine

chevite bearings

which ones off draxas

Clevite Tri-Metal Rod Bearings for Ford 2.5L/3.0L Duratec Engines
Our Price: $50.00

Clevite Tri-Metal Main Bearings for Duratec 2.5 and 3.0 engines
Upgraded Main Bearings for Duratec Engine
Our Price: $85.00

which ones ? there is no par number on the page

i am not sure i can afford the internals at this time unless i can make a lot of money on the deployment

i know i need to also buy the 05 escape oil pan, windage tray and pu
arp bolts or just the updated ford ones?
metal impeller wp
gasket set...

another question i only see puck and mtang4life with the full 3l oval port uim and all, why isn't it more common to just swap the cams and use the oval port ? terry haines says its better to do a full 3L oval port uim and all

i hope i don't get flamed for this but when i was reading the faq its all 01 so i am assuming since i am getting a 02 it should already have all the revised pieces? I am just trying to build this engine right the first time and not have to tear it out and rebuild it again, unless I don't have the cash for the internals.

btw this coug is my only means of transportation so i am not trying to rush the project but i am praying for no hick-ups,back orders, anything since I am driving my buddies spare car a, the loaner beast......i wish i had my ***** up and running :(

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
RE:joining the ranks of the community......not this quickly

If your car is your only means of transportation, you're going to be down a while, especially if you've never done a 3L before. Just be prepared for that.

"which ones ? there is no par number on the page"

Both, in a perfect world. Since you probably don't want to separate the block, you'll only be able to install rod bearings.

"i know i need to also buy the 05 escape oil pan, windage tray and pu"

The YL8Z oil pan with integrated gasket, and the pickup tube for it. Bill J. knows exactly what to order.

"arp bolts or just the updated ford ones?"

Hell no- ARP isn't even really NECESSARY for F/I engines.. Save your money, get stockies- Bill knows which ones to order.

"metal impeller wp"

No, the revised plastic one will do. Metal if you want, increases parasitic drag on the engine though (not sure if it's negligible)

"gasket set..."

Bill knows what to get you.

"why isn't it more common to just swap the cams and use the oval port ?"

Because of the fabrication necessary for using the 2.5L IACV and EGR systems.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
RE:joining the ranks of the community......not this quickly

You can find the Clevite bearings Much cheaper elsewhere. The part numbers are on my site.

You don't need several of the things you are buying. READ the FAQs or even the current other posts.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: joining the ranks of the community......not this quickly

just got the engine off the truck , on the engine stand and in the garage.......here are some pics of what i got

Ended up being a 02 Mercury Sable w/ 32K miles on it
now the process of opeing it up and seeing if anything is wrong and needs replacement.

replace the gaskets
Rod and main bearings (what do u mean seperate the block? i was going to have the block taken down to a shop and have the block honed and, crank knife edged and balenced or is that a waste with stock internals?)
bolts
YL8Z oil pan and componets
svt timing componets
have blackcoog port match my heads then kinger pnp them....
azdc chip

since it is a 02 is there anything i am missing

here are some pics what do you think

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: joining the ranks of the 3L community......pics updated 13sep

well i found this in nandalora's post awhile back

Final? Purchasing list:

??SVT Clutch/Flywheel??
SVT Radiator
Updated Shift Forks
Torsen LSD
MSDS Headers
Updated Oil Pan
Updated Oil Pick Up/Windage Tray
Gaskets (head, timing cover, valve cover)
??Head Bolt Set??
Clevite Rod Bearings
Connecting Rod Bolt Set
ST200 Valve Springs
??Valve seals and retainers??
160 degree Thermostat
Arizona Dyno Chip

Did I miss anything?............. O yea, a 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0L engine!
the tranny stuff i don't need to worry about since i have a terry haines one built. also i have a spec stage2 clutch and lightened flywheel. but i a m getting a little tired of the chatter from the clutch. so might be time to goto something different and better

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE:joining the ranks of the 3L community......pics updated 13sep

Originally posted by: DemonSVT

You don't need several of the things you are buying.
which are these off your page?

4F1Z-6065-AA Head Bolts <------ since i a msending the head to blackcoog right?

F3LY-6214-A Connecting Rod Bolts <------ unless i replace the bearings right?

L8Z-6345-AA 01+ revised Main Studs <------ unless i replace the bearings right?

3M4Z-6675-BA Upgraded Oil Pan Set (2 drain back channels and better lower baffles – comes with gasket and hardware) <------- isn't this the new 05 escape one?

YL8Z-6622-BA 01+ Upgraded Windage Tray (req 01+ main studs) <-------- thought i needed the escape windage tray

YL8Z-6687-AA 01+ Upgraded Oil Pickup (req 01+ main studs) <------- and the escape oil pickup, wouldn't i need to replace those also since i want to rebuild the engine before install it. down time is down time i want this done correctly(except forged internals, just have to wait for the gforce kit)

am I confusing myself or what? please help i feal like an idiot. i read and re-read the faq and my answers weren't answered by it

·
Registered
627 Posts

The head bolts and connecting rod bolts are correct.....yes you will need to replace them
No need for new main studs, unless you replace your main bearings
For the oil pan, windage tray and pickup just go on Fordpartsonline.com and put in '05 Ford Escape and find the parts. You can also ask them about the ST200 valve springs, seats and retainers.

About separating the block, we have a 2 piece short block and the crankshaft sits between the two. So if you want to replace the main bearings (bearings that the crank rides on) you have to separate the block and assemble it with new main bolts. For an engine with stock internals, I wouldn't go through the trouble unless you see visual evidence (i.e. scatched cylinder walls) to make you think the block needs honing. Also remeber if you get the block honed, you'll need new piston rings. Needless to say, I inspected my engine after disassembly and did not need to completely tear it down. I just replaced the rod bearings, but my engine only had 5,000 miles on it. SO, take your engine apart and get it down to the block (heads off) and take some more pics.

-Nick

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

Originally posted by: fordruleRod and main bearings (what do u mean seperate the block? i was going to have the block taken down to a shop and have the block honed and, crank knife edged and balenced or is that a waste with stock internals?)
Oh God.

What do you know about engines? What do you know about the Duratec? From all of the posts with all of the experience of all of the members who've done this, you're coming over as stuck on Day 1.

Look, I'm in a horrible mood, so forgive the intonation up front.

Have the shop replace the bearings. If they want to separate the block to replace main bearings, let them do it- You'll never be able to. If they're going to replace bearings on a used crank, they'd better be polishing it.

Honing: WHY??!! Stock internals, leave the pistons be unless there's scoring on the cylinder walls. Then you'd need new rings, additional R&R cost for re-installing rings and pistons, etc.

Knife-edge: I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Listening to Mr. Howard recently, have we? :rolleyes:

Balance- Do it if you have the money and the shop has the equipment, but it'll cost you BIG. You'll need the 2.5L balancer (or DMD), flywheel, & pressure plate. If they want to pull the pistons for complete balance of the rotating assembly, you'll need more $$$, rings, etc as above.

They also need to remove the pilot bearing. I SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE TO MENTION THIS!!!

SVT Timing components: Dude, step away from the engine. It's not "SVT timing components", it's 2.5L large-pitch timing components. We're talking all four chain guides, two chains, and the crank sprocket. THIS HAS BEEN COVERED TO DEATH!!!

Remember- You asked for feedback in your post with the pics.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

hopefully i get some time this weekend to start tearing into it.
i will be a pic ***** easily.

hey nick who did your heads to port match the heads to LIM?

·
Registered
627 Posts

I did the port matching myself, but if you have even the slightest doubt (which it seems like you do, cause you're asking), just send them to Blackcoog. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i work on helicopters and have done every mod on my car except building the tranny and welding up the exhaust. but coming to the motor is different, i have the shop manuals for the cougar.

my plan now is to remove the heads, send them to blackcoog......wait on kingers gb on pnp
take the block with all the bearings to a shop and have them install them

while that is going order the parts I am needing, thats what the majority of the question were aimed towards.

on
SVT Timing components: Dude, step away from the engine. It's not "SVT timing components", it's 2.5L large-pitch timing components. We're talking all four chain guides, two chains, and the crank sprocket. THIS HAS BEEN COVERED TO DEATH!!!
i have talked to blackcoog and getting his from the svt motor he is parting out.

·
Registered
627 Posts

If I were you, I'd do the rod bearing yourself. I wouldn't trust a shop to, plus it's easy especially with the shop manual.....I have it too! If you have any questions on that, just ask, I have pics too.

-Nick

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

...as nice as I'm going to get...

ALL 01+ Engines have the new windage tray, pickup and dipstick.

Fel-Pro head bolts are normally cheaper.

~~~

The rest of your answers are easy to find as they have been posted... "ad nauseam"

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

thanks demon . this weekend i begin the tear down , i got some extra boxes from the move and a lot of shoe tags so i can tag all the pieces i take off. all i got to do now is email bill jenkins for the parts and i am golden.

·
Christmas cutie
5,229 Posts

Just as an FYI, you can email Bill Jenkins at his new home, [email protected]. Email works for part numbers and prices, but to actually place the order, you need to call him.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts

Bill Jenkins

Phone: 1-800-791-6436 (direct to his desk)

·
Registered
627 Posts

Dude, those prices suck! For example SVT t/b- $186.........Fordpartsonline.com- $140

www.fordpartsonline.com is much better. That's where I got a lot of my stuff.

-Nick

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

ur right nick
but does mr jenkins gives a discount on top of that price?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

here is fordpartsonline.com

5L8Z6675AA $154.50 $0.00 $115.88
Engine - Lubrication - Oil pan
OIL PAN, Escape, Mariner, From 7/18/03 - 3.0L 2003 - 2005

teamfordparts.com
5L8Z6675AA $154.50 $0.00 $154.50
Engine - Lubrication - Oil pan
OIL PAN, Escape, Mariner, From 7/18/03 - 3.0L 2003 - 2005

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.