New Cougar Forum banner

561 - 580 of 608 Posts

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts
Man, were it not for that stupid top engine mount being RIGHT IN THE WAY of anything fun...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Gord - The Ford Escape uses a different motor mount on the 3L, and Kenne Bell even had a supercharger setup for it. Although I don't think they sold any....

·
Super Moderator
22,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
if i cant find anything from a dealer ill just have to make them. it they really arent that hard to do. the tricky part will be indexing the 3 pins, but we have a tool for that too ;)

the real tricky part is finding the time

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Jagged sounds like you dont need a boosted car anymore. Sell me the the SC:evil:

·
Super Moderator
22,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
My dad worked machine maintaince for a very long time. Said Allen bolts generally have 10-15% more thread contact than a standard bolt. The ones that I got were a higher grade than standard.

I never thought about safety wire, but it’s kinda a ***** to get to, it might be doable with the Allen heads

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I was wondering about the allen head statement as well. I know nothing about the design and specification of bolts. What determines a bolts thread contact? I assume it has something to do with how deep the threads are cut, but then I'm sure there are fine limits there. :shrug:

Interesting topic for discussion.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Gord's right, the thread form is the same unless you buy really special fasteners, and hex head or socket head it's all rolled thread with a 60 degree profile.

A higher grade fastener is harder, meaning it'll take more load without permanently deforming, but when they do deform it's not by much before they snap all together, rarely will simply increasing the grade of fasteners do much good if you were breaking them to begin with as they have similar "Ultimate Strength" to lower grade fasteners. It's usually better to either upsize a fastener or increase the number.

Threaded fasteners might as well be called threaded un-fasteners. When you think about them as a basic machine, they're an inclined plane rotated about an axis, and things roll down an inclined plane. In practice this means that vibration causes loosening of fasteners. The contact area of the bolt head has a lot to do the resistance of a fastener from unscrewing, this is part of why all suspension fasteners have an extra large flange on them. Washers aren't much good at preventing unthreading, even spring washers, about the only system that really works are Nordlock's and that stuff's pretty expensive.

In short, use loctite, or tap out the hole bigger.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Good stuff! I knew there was a reason in my head I wanted a flangged bolt head when I recently needed to source a new bolt for my oil pump that I stripped the threads out. BTW 108 in/lbs is not the same as 208 in/lbs. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Those bolts are the suck. - Found out one of mine is stripped during the motor swap. Helicoil time :(

561 - 580 of 608 Posts