New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, it's me, and yes I am still alive. Yes, I still have my cougar.

It's -20 without the windchill and my cougar will not start. I can hear the starter trying to start the motor but it just won't go. I just had a new battery put in about a month ago and the connection from the starter to the battery was also replaced.

Is my battery 'frozen'? Is it destined for the land of dead batteries? Should I just wait til it gets warmer and then try again?

This sucks. :banghead:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Heidi! :wave:

Same thing happens to me at least once or twice a winter... it just needs to be charged. :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Matt!!
Thanks for the reply. Soooo should I just magically fly to the store to get a charger? Or wait til it gets warmer? Call AAA? I'm not used to this fuggin cold. And I'm from the Midwest.

Do you get sun dogs in Canadia?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Throw a oil pan heater on your car. Odds are you oil is too thick right now for it start without causing the battery to drain way down. That is why I keep harping on people to have a good battery (Motocrafts best one) and use a fully synthetic oil (Amsoil). It was -40F last night and the car started right up.

Another thing you can try is to bring the battery inside (as much fun as it will be to get it out of the car) and let it warm up that way.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Throw a oil pan heater on your car. Odds are you oil is too thick right now for it start without causing the battery to drain way down. That is why I keep harping on people to have a good battery (Motocrafts best one) and use a fully synthetic oil (Amsoil). It was -40F last night and the car started right up.
Wrong.

This would be the case if the car was attempting to crank at all. I bet my left nut her problem is just the battery here. Either wait for it to warm up outside, or disconnect the battery and bring it in the house, once it gets up to room temp it should still have enough charge to start the car, or put a charger on it. The charger will excite the molecules causing the battery to warm up and of course charge the battery as well, eventually it will be able to provide enough amps to start the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah...I'm having the same issue this morning. Gotta love the tundra. My girlfriend gets giddy every time she sees the temps dropping and snow falling. I have managed to resist the urge to suggest she spend some quality time with them and see if she still feels the same way.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Yes, the problem is the battery. Oil weight it too thin to have such viscosity problems, even though it is thick now.

If you bring the battery in the house be mindful when handling it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to go out and get my battery to bring it inside. Call me lazy, but this hacking cough/suspected bronchitis doesn't allow me to breathe out there for too long without wanting to keel over.
Eff winter.

Edit: I just watched my housemate go out and start his girlfriend's Honda civic with no problems. WHAT THE EFF.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Hey Matt!!
Thanks for the reply. Soooo should I just magically fly to the store to get a charger? Or wait til it gets warmer? Call AAA? I'm not used to this fuggin cold. And I'm from the Midwest.

Do you get sun dogs in Canadia?
If you've grown wings since I last saw you, then totally! Fly to the store! :biggrin:

You could try what Dan said, and just bring the battery inside for a bit, but if that doesn't work, track down someone who has one of those trickle-charger things and just connect it over night :) Is there any autoparts stores around you? They should all carry them.

I don't think I've ever seen sun dogs here, or at least nothing like what I looked up on Wikipedia. Then again, I try to avoid being outside in the winter! :rofl: I hate being cold!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Wrong.

This would be the case if the car was attempting to crank at all. I bet my left nut her problem is just the battery here. Either wait for it to warm up outside, or disconnect the battery and bring it in the house, once it gets up to room temp it should still have enough charge to start the car, or put a charger on it. The charger will excite the molecules causing the battery to warm up and of course charge the battery as well, eventually it will be able to provide enough amps to start the car.
You live in Ohio. I think I have a little more experience in cold weather starts. Like I said, it is most likely a combination of oil AND battery. Have you ever tried to poor a bottle of dino oil when it is -20F? It doesn't poor AT ALL. It is like a thick maple syrup in the fridge. If the starter isn't able to turn the engine over it is because it is like having maple syrup in your engine. IN COMBINATION if she didn't get a good battery with enough cold cranking amp, the battery won't have enough power to turn over the engine long enough to thin out the oil with friction.

I will say with 95%, if you put JUST an oil pan heater on under the car and let it sit for an hour or two, it will fire up.

I had my fair share of fun last year with the wifes old Impreza and cold weather. I used a dino oil in it, and it had a new battery. Would not fire up when it got to around -20F. Once I changed the oil to a full synthetic...boom, it would fire up every single time no matter the temp.

·
Administrator
24,441 Posts
A friend with jumper cables should do.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Call AAA, they will be able to jump you if you need. Your car is having trouble delivering the cold cranking amps that it wants to start. I have that issue because my battery is in the trunk so i have my block heater plugged in to make it easier and not blow the inline fuses i have.

·
Tornado Alley Moderator
1,067 Posts
I'm having the same issue...not with the Cougar, but with a rental car. I'm doing some work up in Minnesota and it wouldn't start this morning. The bad thing is I called AAA and they sent a huge tow truck out here and even he couldn't get it started.

So now I'm trying to deal with the car rental place to get a car that doesn't suck....problem is the closest car rental place is over an hour away.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm having the same issue...not with the Cougar, but with a rental car. I'm doing some work up in Minnesota and it wouldn't start this morning. The bad thing is I called AAA and they sent a huge tow truck out here and even he couldn't get it started.

So now I'm trying to deal with the car rental place to get a car that doesn't suck....problem is the closest car rental place is over an hour away.:banghead:
Where in MN?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
You live in Ohio. I think I have a little more experience in cold weather starts.
And *I* live in Canada :rolleyes::tongue: Just saying - from personal experience, its always been my battery, and connecting it to a trickle charger over night has always solved the problem for the past 3 winters.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
And *I* live in Canada :rolleyes::tongue: Just saying - from personal experience, its always been my battery, and connecting it to a trickle charger over night has always solved the problem for the past 3 winters.
And remember, I live in a colder area than you. :biggrin: And remember, we always see -40F (or colder) several times a winter here and for the past 4 years I have NEVER had to do anything with my tours (i.e. plugging them in, oil pan heaters, charging the battery etc). Just fire it up in the morning and go

1 - 20 of 42 Posts