New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to diagnose this sound but haven't had any luck. This sound is not coming from any of the accessory drive units. It is not an idler, tensioner, water pump, ps pump, belt, etc.... so please do not suggest that.

This sound has existed for a long time with my truck ( 2 years) and at least 20k miles and has caused no drivability issues or CEL's. It was faint for that long time and then recently possibly due to a change in the weather to cold and now it's as you hear it. Clearly loud and annoying and something I want to resolve. Truck has 188k miles on it and it very clean for the most part and perfectly functional otherwise. My mechanic used his stethescope on this issue quickly while doing brake work and said it's in the bellhousing so TC or flex plate, and also hears the sound from the oil pan. now the vibrations will travel from one to the other so clearly it's one of the two. If it's the oil pan the only thing it could be would be a bearing issue or a clogged oil pickup that would somehow make that sound. Two clips are attached, one just outside of the truck in the dark video, and then bouncing off the wall at a drive through. I found one video exactly on youtube with the same sound and the video has comments turned off and the host isn't really active. So has anyone had this exact sound and if so what was the diagnosis? any help is appreciated to save a few bucks and crack open the proper side.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
Would help to know what kind of engine it is - V-6, V-8, overhead cams, timing chain, timing belt? Nothing?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, this was copied from my Ram forum, It's a 5.7 Hemi. 2010.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I would start by taking the "mechanic used a stethoscope" diagnosis with a grain of salt. That's a weak diagnostic tool to begin with, and shop mechanic competence levels can vary wildly.
What other indications do you have that this isn't a belt or pulley related sound? Have you tried removing the belt to verify?
Is there any change when in gear vs when stopped? Can you tell if it goes away in higher gears? If you shift to neutral and run up the rpms does it go away? Have you exercised the transfer case at all to make sure it still operates smoothly?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping the last replies in that thread would have an update to what the issue ultimately was, but of course not. lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts