New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, lately I've had two main problems. 1 - My driver side window is very stubborn. I usually have to click on the window button 3 or 4 times to get a response from the window, no matter what position it is in (Closed, Open, Somewhat Open..). 2 - My A/C has stopped working on levels 1-3. Only level 4 works, and it is getting weaker by the day.

I got a new battery installed a year ago because my car didnt start two days in a row, and I dont think that has anything to do with it. The only other thing I can think of is I recently got body work done on my coug (installed a SW it over summer) but nothing should have been done electrically or anything like that.

So, is this my alternator? Or are these two non-related, coincidental problems? Either way, can you offer any solutions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
For the window - you probably have a bad switch. If your alternator was going, the window would work, but it would roll up really slow. If you replace the switch you should be fine. You should be able to get the part from a dealership for pretty cheap. Also, it is very easy to change out - just take a tiny screwdriver and pry out the button. The wires pull right off the back and will hook up to the new one easily. And for the HVAC controls, it is a known problem that the fan tends to not work in positions 1, 2, and 3. Only #4 will work. Here is a link to a thread that tells the resistor that you need along with where it is located and how to replace it. It is a $10 part. Good luck making your repairs... Fortunately, they are two easy fixes!

Heat/Air Conditioning Only Works on #4...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. Probably the first time that problems with my coug have been less drastic than they seem, and inexpensive also. Hallellujah

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This just in..

Now my battery light has turned on. It has been on for 2 days, I drove from anaheim to san diego with it on the whole time (a little nerve racking). Anyway, it doesnt flicker or only go on at high RPMs as seems to be the signs of a bad alternator. However, what with my other problems, I am getting worried. Any new input? My car has about 55k miles on it, and its a 99.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Jeez... I seem to always be the fist person to read your questions! The battery light is most likely on because your battery voltage is low. That is why it tends to go on when at high RPMs... The load increases and draws more power making the voltage go down. Fortunately, it actually might not be your alternator. Batteries do wear out after time and a cell can go dead - and with the age and mileage of your car you may be about due for a new battery. If you have a dead cell, a portion of the battery is still good and your battery will still operate for a little while, but just not at full strength. That is probably why you made it home ok on your road trip. The weak battery wont last for long though. I would take it to your local Autozone and have it tested. They will test both the battery and alternator for you for free. Have them both tested because it might be your alternator as well... It may be slowly dieing. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts