New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the CD4E electronically controlled?

And what is the benefit of a shiftronic transmission? Like, if ours was shiftronic would we get lower 1/4 times?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Alex, it is my understanding that the CD4E, like all automatic transmissions, are electronically controlled. This is why my friends father has an automatic in his 1970 Camaro, so he doesn't have to worry about mis-shifting down the track.

And as for the shifttronic helping. Of course it will help a little, if you use it correctly. It would of course work much much better if you were to couple it with a tranny cooler (should definately do anyway), torque convertor, and a oil cooler (someone correct me about this one, there's probably another name for it, but right now at 3 am, I can't think of it). As far as I understand the having a shiftronic capable transmission allows the driver, you in this case, quasi-manually shift gears at whenever you want. They will downshift automatically when you slow down, but won't upshift until you do it manually.

This would probably help you out down the track a little, but wouldn't do much at all (if anything truthfully) without that torque convertor.

I hope I've answered this good enough for you, and for everyone else, if my information is incorrect, and/or can be added on/subtracted from let him know. I know I was eager to learn when I first joined, only I just read and didn't post.

I was a quiet one...:stupid:

Z (jason)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I doubt it's just a chip, the chip probably alters your air/fuel ratio, shift points, rev limiter, speed governor, and the speed of the shifts...or maybe a compilation of the above, and will probably have the ability to be tuned to whatever mods you have done to your car.

The actual shiftronic is where you change the Gear knob, and many (or not so many, I really don't know that much about it mechanically) other parts to allow much more control over the shifting. Like my old 2000 Eclipse had it, and my friends RSX has it.....when you're in D (drive) you move the knob over to the right and you have a "+" sign and a "-" sign signifying the upshift and downshift of the transmission.

Z (jason)

·
Registered
230 Posts
So its doubtful that this Level10 chip is all plug and play then? Cause it looks interesting to me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Oh, it's plug-n-play, just like almost any other chip out there.

But what you linked us too isn't a chip. It's the Module. Like all the crap you would need for a shiftronic that I mentioned before.

Level 10 states : ", It's a plug-and-play module that mounts in the cockpit and links directly with your transmission computer harness to provide manual control of up and downshifts, shift pressure and converter lockup."

See it mounts in the cockpit. That means it will involve, more than likely, altering the gear shift knob and the linkage involved......

Still wouldn't do much, if any, good unless you have that tranny cooler and torque convertor....you really do need those with the ATX.

Z (jason)

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Not all transmissions are electronically controlled. Before the advent of computer systems, automatic transmissions in cars are vacuum controlled. There is a vacuum line leading to a pressure switch that is basically a diaphram which controlled the shifting of the transmission. It would've been hard for a 60's Mustang with an automatic tranny to have electronic computer control when the modern microcomputer wasn't invented yet. ;)

In any case, the shift points on the Cougar are electronically controlled by the ECU, which is why chipping an ATX benefits it so much. The shift-tronic style kit would just make it so moving the transmission selector in one direction upshifts a gear, moving it down downshifts a gear, etc...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Would this mod be worth buying? Zybo says not unless you get the TQ Convertor and a Tranny Cooler? Lets see:

Shiftronic Kit: $500
TQ Convertor: $700
Tranny Cooler:$50

I'm saying would it be worth spending $1250 to have an ATX that you can launch hard and shift yourself? Would we see drops in our E/T's? Is there another place to buy TQ convertors besides levelten? Hopefully cheaper?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts