New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The general rule I learned about transmission fluid maintenance (at least in older cars), is that the fluid should be flushed about every 2 years. I swear the maintenance schedule booklet in our owners manual only mentions an 'Automatic Transaxle Service'....no mention of the MTX75. Am I still supposed to flush the tranny fluid every 2 years? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has changed their transmission fluid?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
i wanted the dealership to change my MTX fluid to the newer ford fluid, and they said they wouldnt do it until it comes time to change.. I think they said 60k miles.. I am going to do it myself one of these warm days.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
I changed mine, first at 5k then again at 20k ... the fluid held up VERY nicely ... only slight darkening. I figure every 60K is OK, but to be on the safe side, I would do it every 30K ... me, I will do it every 4th oil change (20k). I am anal like that ... I abuse my car quite a bit, and she deserves all the little spa treatments she gets

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I just cracked 36k miles last weekend, maybe now is a good time. I was wondering about the cocktail too, perhaps I can go check the CEG board for the recipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having trouble shifting only when the car is running. I was trying to check the fluid in ny 1999 cougar with manual transaxle. Can't find how to check the fluid. Does anyone know how to do that the owner's manual doesn't mention how to check manual transaxle only gives you fluid type and capacity

·
8,636 Posts
Holy thread resurrection Batman! That could be a record - 5 years!

MTXs don't have a dipstick. You have to crawl under and remove the fill plug and check to see it's at the bottom of that. NOT WHILE IT'S RUNNING of course.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Whoa . . . /off Neo voice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.