New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as "too many mods"???

Afer reviewing my latest "mod list" I'm beginning to ponder that question...

Link to mod list

I STILL need to install some of the goodies, buy the new DragonTail hood and nitrous kit, and possibly the lambo door conversion.

I'm just wondering if I've "gone over the top" and need to STOP, or if you think there's a point at which "enough is enough".

ALL opinons are WELCOME (positive or negative...I NEED you to be HONEST)!

<---Just wondering.

Thanks! :)

~CIII

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE:Is there such a thing as "too many mods"???

Jscullin,
I PROMISE that this isn't a "hey look at me and all my cool mods" post!

I'm just seriously having some reservations about my continual mods (and their cost) and wondering if some of my fellow NECOers might be able to give me thier HONEST opinions as to wether or not I might need to "reel it in" a bit.

I've just always thought, "Well, once I get [so and so mod] I'll be done." and that simply isn't working for me...I keep seeing new mods and think about adding them on... I think maybe it's time to maybe "call it quits".

You know how you see cars and you think to yourself, "You know, if they had just stopped at [insert mod here] it would look SO much better." ???

That's where I'm at right now...I just don't want to go "over the top" and turn the car into something really tacky.

If ANYONE has some HONEST opinions as to where to STOP, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thank you VERY much for any opinions you can share.

Sincerely,
~Charles

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

Are you happy? Are you meeting your goals? Don't worry about what we think. Some of the people here would be drooling over your extensive mods, other people would wonder why you're wasting your money on a cougar. It's all personal opinion. When you get tired of it, stop modding. Simple. :)

As for your car...there are things I like about it, but I also think it's a little too busy. I'd ditch the bra first of all...any excess or unbelonging emblems....the headlight covers...get a different hood instead of just a scoop...stuff like that. Sometimes, less is more.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

It varies per person........for me right now..........the first mod i did for $10 was the bestest ever and im not touching my car anymore. It's unique, stands out, and classy.....and all i need.

For some.....they feel dropping over $50k into a $15k car is fine.......just the type of person thats all :wiggle:

·
Administrator
11,560 Posts
My opinion...wheras the "list" may be impressive it's how you've put it together on the car where you'll find the answer to your question.

My favorite mod on my car is also my cheapest...$15 for the "COUGAR" script off a '68...see sig.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Its all up to you. If you've think you got enough then you have enough and your satisfied. Me on the other hand, I'm going to be dedicated to showing my Cougar. Totally changing the look of it next year, why? Because I want to be different and have some people around my area talking aload of crap. Saying i'm never going to amount to stuff and all that sort of thing. Untill I get pictures takin of my car while driving on the highway...then I think I will call it quits.

Do what you think is best. If you like to mod your car then mod it...If it doesn't make you happy anymore than find somthing else that will.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Originally posted by: JScullin
My opinion...wheras the "list" may be impressive it's how you've put it together on the car where you'll find the answer to your question.

My favorite mod on my car is also my cheapest...$15 for the "COUGAR" script off a '68...see sig.
Oddly enough....im referring to roughly the same idea :wave:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Keep it up Charles! You're building your car for YOU, nobody else!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I've been pondering this question as well. I too have a mods list...but mine includes the prices of everything on it and what I've spent on labor and such (such as painting). All I have to do is look at those prices....the more expensive things on the list are done, so all that's left is little stupid things. But, I know I'm going to have my car for another two years or so, so I say to myself "what the hell, just buy it and get more compliments" heh. I got no worries because there's a list of people who want to buy my car whenever I'm ready to sell it. The more I do to it the more they'll want it. heh. just my own personal opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It really depends on what you want out of your car....and how much you are willing to lose.

Me personally, there were some things I wanted to do to my car from day one. With the exception of rims and the kam hood, I made my car look exactly how I wanted it. I also did everything with very little money. Actually, after everything was said and done, I pocketed a few bucks during my "mod year".

Now I know that I have very different personal likes and dislikes than most people here, but after seeing what I have seen, and knowing what I know....the Cougar is a waste of time. It's a great looking car, but that is about it. The engine is crap, the tranny is crap, and all the accessories are crap. Overall, the Cougar is not a good car. Chances are, the majority of our cars will end up being junk in a short amount of time. I already have my Cougar on "daily driver" status, meaning that for my 1.25 mile trip to work, the car is great....other than that, it serves no purpose.

If it was a more reliable car, then I can see putting money into it....but the sad fact is that the Cougar is not good for much else. Everyday I get angrier that Ford wasted such an awesome design on such a horrible platform. I wish they had used the Sable/Taurus platform....THEN it would be much more worth the money and effort.

So it all depends, if you know that you will be putting money into your car for years to come...and you know that you will NEVER get your money out of it...then keep on modding. If you ever want a return on your investment, then stop now.

Now before anybody jumps on my case, just understand that I see these cars everyday, I know what they are truly capable of. Not from an owners perspective, but from a professional perspective.

Again, these are my beliefs based on my personal experiences from being an owner, and my professional experiences from being an employee. So if you love your car, don't get offended....I am not trying to bash the car or it's owners. Remember, I too am an owner, and I too had the same excitement as you did. I just lost it over the years, due to things I have seen. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
also i would keep in mind, what is the purpose of having certain mods. say for instance lambo doors, very expensive, if you are showing alot it might be worth it, if you just want to be different, than I don't know if i would go that route. Even nitrous I had the venom kit, and thought about it for shows, but in reality i probably wouldn't use it that much so i sold the kit. Your car is tight already and alot differnt than most ocugars I see, but on the other hand for myself for instance I have thought about lambo doors becaue I regularly show, and it is nice to have that edge. You have to be happy with your finished product, if you think about it thought there are always things you can do to your car no matter how much you have spent. Even after my new paint job which i said would be my last mod, I still have 5 or 6 other little things i'd like to do. IT is really your call charles.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fett (along with everyone else who has posted so-far),
I appreciate your very honest prespectives...THANK YOU!
I also see that I will NEVER recouperate my investment in my Cougar...I paid cash for my car and all the monies invested in modifications were of a purely personal motivation. I do not expect to recover my investment in my car...I only modify it in order to keep it "new to ME"...I feel that it is more inexpensive to add a $200 part than to pay a $500+ monthly payment on something new (like an Infinity G35 Coupe).
I posted mostly b/c I'm becoming concerned about the fact that my mods have become "unending" and the fact that there was a there was I time that I felt that once "a certain mod" was completed then the car would be "finished". Obviously that has not been the case.

Any further opinions are CERTAINLY welcome!

(BTW...The key here is where to STOP without turinng my car into one of the tacky "ricemobiles" that I have seen!)

Thanks again to ALL my friends here on NECO!

Sincerely,
~Charles

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Originally posted by: cwtIII

(BTW...The key here is where to STOP without turinng my car into one of the tacky "ricemobiles" that I have seen!)
My suggestion to you is. Take your time. Make sure it gets done right, and don't put any CHEAP parts on it.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: Magoo
Originally posted by: cwtIII

My suggestion to you is. Take your time. Make sure it gets done right, and don't put any CHEAP parts on it.
yea like APC :rofl: If you're having doubts about it then you should probably stop right now, cuz being doubtful means you don't really have as much interest in modding your car as you used to. just my own thoughts...again.

Mike

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Yes Charles... you've done too much, you need to stop................................and mod my car instead :biggrin:

Tef- that picture of the lettering on your car looks awesome! how come i've never seen that picture before??? you've been holding out on us! :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I agree 100% with what Kelly has said... I personally think that some of your stuff makes the car look busy but then again it is YOUR car and you must always keep the big picture in mind.. if its a show car career for you be prepared to change the look once a year..

My attitude on my car is that its a money pit but it truely does make me happy.. my car changed 100% in 2003 and it will change 100% again in 2004 even if it kills me.. my car motivates me and by god the only goal I have that I seem to never achieve is winning Hottest Female Ride ..

Charles.. your a great guy and I love your determination but sometimes I just feel like you "show off" a tad too much.. do you really need a million threads to ask us what our opinions are on your current and future mods? Please don't take offense to what I said.. I'm just responding to your questions..

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Originally posted by: Magoo

I'm in agreement with this statement.

if you're the fickle type who buys a new car every 3-5 years, then don't bother sinking funds into something you know you're gonna get rid of. Save up for a d/p on the next one. OR start leasing vehicles.
If you're the type to hold onto something forever until it's a pile of rubble, then mod the shiat outta it. :biggrin:
regardless of the negatives about this car, I love it, have always loved it and plan on keeping it as long as it will hold out and put up with me. :) This car is pampered and spoiled rotten, so I don't expect it to fall apart anytime soon.

and a car is not an investment. it's a fixed asset, plain and simple.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
Tef- that picture of the lettering on your car looks awesome! how come i've never seen that picture before??? you've been holding out on us! :)

Yes actually......i just never felt the urge/need to post photos of my car, although...the lettering and palm tree license plate cover are about as special as it gets :wiggle:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
it really SHOULD come down to this, which i'm shocked no one has mentioned: if you are in debt because of your car then stop (i.e. you put all your mods on credit card). if you have money to burn, then knock yourself out and go mod crazy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts