New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is doing the fuel pump through the rear seat floor as easy as its described... I looks like it should take about 45 min or less.

I need to do this, I was bucking at a 1/4 tank and now I am bucking at a half tank.

I just dont want to get in over my head. Brakes and oil are one thing.

Any one that has done this please give me a heads up

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
i thought it was pretty darn easy. much easier than dropping the tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently replaced mine and the hardest part was getting the retaining ring off and then back on the cover to the gas tank. I also had a challenge replacing the housing into the fitting at the bottom of the tank. Make sure you remember the orientation of the fuel sender float and it should go pretty easy. I ended up replacing mine several times due to "technical" problems and could probably do it in under an hour now. Unfortunately for me, I ended up putting the cleaned up old pump back in as I need to get the brass T's to modify my aftermarket pump (Herko brand) with the FI hose similar to the Walbro installs. I'll probably replace it once again this weekend. As a sidenote, I bought my Cougar used and the pump had already been replaced at least once as the access hole was already cut out! Got about 20,000 miles on it since I bought it before it started to puke.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
After my 3rd pump was replaced it still had problems....turned out to be an injector foul up in 1 and 3. Have the injectors checked out if any other problems come up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did it!!!!!!!!!!!! But I dropped the tank. Couldnt get my fat hand through the opening to reach the pump.

Just to let everyone know..... There is a rubber grommet that seal the tank to the pipe. Be carefule or you will spend 5 hours like i did with some reachers trying to find it. The easiest way to replace it is to put it on the pipe and push the tank up onto it!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Originally posted by: drizzl
Couldnt get my fat hand through the opening to reach the pump.
Your supposed to cut some of the sheet metal around that hole to make it bigger. Makes getting the pump in and out a breeze. The biggest pain i had was trying to get the fuel lines off the pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.