New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone always complains about having an atx on this board, and also that the cougar lacks speed. so would it be possible for someone to drop a new engine in the cougar along with a manual transmission.....how much work would it take.... and i know its possible as long as you have the $$$$$. so how much will you be putting out?...... Just something for all of us atx'ers to dream about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
your post had nothing to do with my question, and didnt really help one bit, so anyone who wants to post a real respons that has to do with the topic....feel free

·
Registered
635 Posts
It is very possible....there are no mechanical difference between the ATX car and MTX car chassis....I would HIGHLY recomend buying an MTX parts car not just the engine and tranny. That way you are sure to get all the little "project stopper" parts....The down side is very few shops will want to take on a project like this so you'll probably have to do the work youself...That means a well stocked, two car garage and taking a week off work to do it...

Realistically unless there is a very compelling reason to keep your current car it would make more sense to sell the ATX car and buy an MTX one.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I do a lot of commuting in traffic, and my MTX civic hatchback was a real pain. That was the main reason I got the Cougar with an automatic. Even with the automatic, the Cougar is easily faster (but not as much fun). My goal is to make my ATX cougar as fast as a stock MTX. For about $1000, you can get I/H/E and accomplish just that. To me, that's smarter than spending thousands on an MTX conversion.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought my ATX because its easier to drive and shifts when it need to so I wont have to worry about messing up. I have never complained about power because I fill that my ATX is very fast. I bought a cougar instead of a corvette/Z28 becaus evryone expects those cars to go fast. I wanted a car that I could work with to ba fast yet nor be under the classifications of being a "fast" car. Every time I did fill like bitching about it, I just used that anger to save up for another mod. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the ATX. I test drove both and thought to myself that I could make this ATX just as fast as the MTX and still have easines in driving because I have an ATX.
Instead of bitching about it, i did something about it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Cougar99v6...it's a good thing we all don't live in your world or else we'd all be driving the same car...

BTW wanting to improving the performance of an ATX is NO different than wanting to improve the MTX...

to paraphrase you a litte....

<< my point was, that anyone that bought a Cougar shouldn't have bought a Cougar if you wanted the power/control aspect of a sports car and that there should be no excuse (i.e., 'oh i wanted this color so bad i bought it and it's a Cougar', or 'it was the only one on the lot and i just had to have it', or 'i don't want the same car as everybody else) that's my meaning of 'no excuse'.... >>

in other words if YOU don't like the ATX fine but some people do and some of those want to improve their car too...so save you're bashing for people that deserve it....like "Type R" Civic drivers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
who are you to decide what people do and do not ***** about. if i wanna *****....if another atxer wants to *****....then ***** we shall and we dont give a damn if you think our reason is good or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PhatCoug99 asked a question... "So would it be possible for someone to drop a new engine in the cougar along with a manual transmission.....how much work would it take.... and i know its possible as long as you have the $$$$$. so how much will you be putting out?"

If you don't have an answer for his question, then don't post! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing we are trying to rid this board of. I'm sorry that people are having a disagreement, but please take it to private messages.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Issue 1: To PhatCoug.. this is VERY possible. However as mransr said, few places will do this. Mostly because there is plenty of room for error, and if they screw it up, they are responsible. I have actually been looking into going to a duratech 3.0 most shops say.. "It can be done, but we won't do it."

Issue 2: Telling him not to complain if he bought it was no called for. Some people (such as myself) have no choice. My car died, I needed a car, the trade in was 1/2 of the payoff on my loan. So in essence, any car I looked at was going to be $4000 more than they sold it for. Only option I had was the ATX that was on the lot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you so much mercmobile.... that was a very helpful response.... and i was in the same situation, i was in the dealership, they offered me a good price and it was the only 99 left near the 2000 season so it was the best price i could get. but if you find a shop to do this swap then give me a hollar, i would be very interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Phatcoug99, just so you know, since we have v6 engines (small ones, i know)the horsepower drop for an ATX isn't going to be very much, it's a problem when you have an ATX 4cylinder because they're so small. I wouldn't go as far as to pay for a tranny swap when you can do a few minor mods to get to the 10 or so horses that the MTX has, it's not much, i've seen the dyno charts, and the ATX was running at 141hp and the MTX was running at 147hp, tell me if that's worth who knows how much $$$$$. A simple intake and exhaust will cover that pretty much, and you can still go for the chip and MSDS cheap mods, which takes you beyond the MTX by far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is more than just the horse power difference. There is also the gearing differences jsut so you know. The atx is about 1.5 seconds slower than a mtx. That can be made up for, but it would take more than intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
There is no I4 ATX Cougar in production...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Cannibis hit the nail on the head....If we could change the gearing on the ATX most of the other perfromance problems would go away...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would not suggest putting a MTX in the car. You are asking for headaches with that. You will spend more than you have to. Take that money, get yourself a nice exhaust, intake, etc.. like do it out.. don't just get an intake, get the MAF with it.. go out and get a superchip, play with this until you can't get in it without fearing for your life. Hell get a Venom Perf. Control Mod and do the headers.. get yourself a flywheel.. really give it the works.. throw in a Vortec Supercharger.. (Who needs a MTX huh?!)

I would rather do all those mods than just put an MTX in the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all your help everyone...i guess ill stay with the atx for now and see how fast i can make it. right after i finish my cosmetics...you may notice that my "3 week unvailing" has been at three weeks for quite some time now, well thanks to andys auto sport for that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.