New Cougar Forum banner

Is it possible to wire headlights so both sets of light light together?

960 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mcon99 
#1 ·
I am sure this can be done. My question is how, and would it be worth it?
I want to have both my high beams and regular low beams light together. Will it cause an overheat in the light assembly, especially with upgraded lights?

JOE

#4 ·
mine both stay on when i hit my brights... i pretty much thought all cougars did that... and the legality issue you can't hav brights on in certian situations... and also if you have fogs it is illegal in many if not all states to have three sets of forward facing lights for the purpose of lighting the road (meaning like driving lights and stuff dont' count) but i guess i can't say much i have my fogs wired up so they stay on when i turn on my brights and i have never been hit up for it, but then again i have never been questioned about lights at all and i have blue driving lights no front turn signals in the corners molded reflectors and **** so hmm i guess it all depends on local cops and if they hate you or not

#5 ·
Don't all cars do that, they do in the UK?

It's totally illegal over here, you'd end up blinding oncoming cars and they'd probably crash in to you...:confused:

G
#6 ·
I agree- if you have your headlights on- and you turn you brights on- they BOTH stay on until you turn them off. If i'm not mistaken- all cars are wired this way... so... what's the question? And yes- it is illegal inall fifty states to pass oncoming traffic with your highbeams on at night.

G
#9 ·
I'm not to sure about that- i had a 81 Cutlass Supreme that had fog lamps and all three stay lit- i just blew fog lamp bulbs A LOT from running all three... like after a couple minutes of all three forward running lights being on- my fog lamps would blow out. Could've been wiring i suppose. I dunno!

#10 ·
mine go on too, but if I have the fogs on and go to turn on the brights, the fogs go off.

Mike

#11 ·
It is basically a matter of "there is no need to have them ALL on".

The purpose of fog lights....yes, imagine that, they actually have a real purpose OTHER than "it looks cool"....is having light emitting BELOW the fog. As anybody who has ever driven in fog knows, when you turn on your high beams in the fog..you can't see a damn thing. Your high beams project directly in front of you and reflect off the fog.

Low beams are designed to illuminate the road in front of you, so you can see and so others can see you.

High beams are for dark areas, where you need to see further up the road.

Fog lights are to illuminate the road UNDER the fog.

If you "need" your fog lights due to fog, then you will not be using your high beams. If you are in a situation where you need and can use your highbeams, then there is no fog, so you don't need your fog lights.

#13 ·
J, i bet a few people would appreciate it if you wrote up a simple how-to for that "mod" you discovered. That was the first thing my friend did with his probe, was re-route some wire behind the switch so they could turn on independantly. he didnt even have to turn on his running lights.

#14 ·
Warning for those doing it though......

If you drive near a Cougar with my icon on the rear window....be sure to NOT have all your lights (fog/high/low) on. I have my 2million candle watt spotlight behind my seat, ready and armed for such occasions. I can shine this thing on clouds, imagine what it does to the eyes of those who have made the mistake of brake checking me, or flashing me. :evil:

#16 ·
Originally posted by: Fett
Warning for those doing it though......

If you drive near a Cougar with my icon on the rear window....be sure to NOT have all your lights (fog/high/low) on. I have my 2million candle watt spotlight behind my seat, ready and armed for such occasions. I can shine this thing on clouds, imagine what it does to the eyes of those who have made the mistake of brake checking me, or flashing me. :evil:
now that is hilarious, if not accident causing :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.