New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is everyone getting sick of seeing the same Japan cars on the cover and highlighted in every car mag out there?? Most of these cars aren't even available in the US and the parts that were used on them aren't either. Would be nice to see something that was domestic besides the Mustang getting it own mag or maybe just a domestic mag to cover all of us. Just a thought to ponder. Seeing that same pink Silvia on another mag today just made me wanna :puke:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yea i hate it when skylines are on cover that just makes me want one either more and i kno i cant get one

·
Registered
159 Posts
May I recomend Road & Track? Great articles, huge, high-quality pictures, and I just renewed my subscription over the next 2 years for $12. Can't beat that. Looking through the last year, I can't find one japanese car on the cover.

Honestly though, japanese cars are hot right now, and magazines know that articles and features on them will sell copies. In the end, it's those sales that count. Of course, you also might just be looking at the wrong magazines.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
hehe, yeah I agree... I especially like the whole fuss they make about drifting, etc... unfortunately
the only Japanese cars that you can do this with are out of reasonable price range, and no self
respecting honda boy is gonna pick up an old Fbody or stang and start driftin here in the US...
BTW this will probably get moved to Garage Talk.

·
Registered
865 Posts
what are you talking about eric? ever hear of drifting an 86 corrolla gts? you can pick them up for really cheap in the US, not to mention the nissan 240, mr2 etc, all very affordable. I went to the first US D1 Grand Prix in Irwindale cali, best money I ever spent checking out cars racing, and yes drifting is racing, and guess what won the event? that's right a corrolla, granted it was a race ready vehicle, to think it was going against supras, what would be the sc430 here, skyline and 350z's with many others involved, it was the underdog going in but it came down to the drivers skill, awesome stuff in my book.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've never seen a AE86 cheap. They're always $3K+ and never in the much coveted hatchback, always coupe. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I've had my dad keep an eye out on 240's but they ain't much cheaper. MR2's aren't cheap unless you get a non turbo or the 80s style and the old style doesn't look as good as the newer one. I'm not into the new MR2 Spyders though they are real light, always preferred for racing/drifting.

With the rise of drifting you are also gonna see those car prices also rise. The 240sx's especially are gonna rise in price like Supra's did after Fast and Furious. The American Silvia's have unlimited potential. If I knew then what I knew now when I was first car shopping, I'd have gotten a early 90s U.S. S13, slapped on a homemade turbo system and had a great handling car in the 13s already.

As for what's on the cover, I don't care what's on the cover as long as it's not another "Carpet Queen" with $10K worth of "ICE", $6K paint job, a $5K body kit, $3K upholstery, $2K rims, a set of airbags and $1K worth of chrome on the engine with no turbo or supercharger. Sick of that, especially when it's a Honda. As for Honda, if it ain't a S2000(preferably supercharged or turbocharged), enough already.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
the BEST was the TV show "High-Rev Tuners" :rofl:

i remember when i visited Crispys house a while back, we watched a bunch of those shows, and ya know... it wasn't so bad if it was on MUTE. but as soon as the interviewers started talking, it was like "custom hood, custom wheels, custom interior, custom roof scoop, custom neons, custom strobes........" :rofl: they had NO idea what they were talking about, and yet you think they would since all they showed was the same imports.

Crispy says the show has gotten MUCH better now, so i guess i wasn't the only one who didn't respect the show :tongue:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Originally posted by: Seawulf
I've never seen a AE86 cheap. They're always $3K+ and never in the much coveted hatchback, always coupe. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I've had my dad keep an eye out on 240's but they ain't much cheaper. MR2's aren't cheap unless you get a non turbo or the 80s style and the old style doesn't look as good as the newer one. I'm not into the new MR2 Spyders though they are real light, always preferred for racing/drifting.

With the rise of drifting you are also gonna see those car prices also rise. The 240sx's especially are gonna rise in price like Supra's did after Fast and Furious. The American Silvia's have unlimited potential. If I knew then what I knew now when I was first car shopping, I'd have gotten a early 90s U.S. S13, slapped on a homemade turbo system and had a great handling car in the 13s already.

As for what's on the cover, I don't care what's on the cover as long as it's not another "Carpet Queen" with $10K worth of "ICE", $6K paint job, a $5K body kit, $3K upholstery, $2K rims, a set of airbags and $1K worth of chrome on the engine with no turbo or supercharger. Sick of that, especially when it's a Honda. As for Honda, if it ain't a S2000(preferably supercharged or turbocharged), enough already.

locally I've seen some really cheap 86's, you can find them if you look enough. I'm not saying the cars are cheap, but they are affordable. and as for the 240 thing, yeah, that's what most people are gonna go after now that the scene is getting bigger. gotta remember though that nissan never released the sivias here in america, I wish they had. sivia's had a dif suspension and motor package (mainly just a turbo) badging etc as well. but yeah, the cars that are most bought by those trying to drift will come up in price a lot, can't wait for that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
shoot, I went drifting in an old Mustang...6 years ago...with a 3.8 V6 even :tongue:

granted it was on some dirt roads in south GA, but still...it was crazy fun if you didn't end up in a ditch :cover:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts