New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IRP Event Rules and Regulations - Read it and refer back to it often...

First and foremost... if you are under 18 and plan to run the Drag Strip and/or AutoCross you and a parent/guardian MUST sign a minor waiver at the Indianapolis Raceway Park. This means you MUST have a parent in attendance. NO EXCEPTIONS.

<u>Drag Strip</u>

Attire - Jeans, shirt w/ at least short sleeves, and shoes. In other words, NO shorts, NO tank tops, NO sleeveless shirts, and NO open toed shoes. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Helmet - Required for any car that runs 13.99 seconds or less in the quarter mile. That's like 5 of you, right? ;) If by chance you don't have a helmet on and run in <14s, you will be warned to either slow down or to wear one next time. Second offense you will be disqualified for the rest of the day. I doubt this will happen.

Rollcage, flame retardant suit, window net - Required for any car that runs 10.99 seconds or less in the quarter mile. Anybody? Anybody? :shrug:

Nitrous - Commercially available nitrous oxide system prohibited on supercharged V-8 engine, permitted on all other engines. Nitrous bottles in driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside of driver's compartment. THIS IS MANDATORY ON HATCHBACKS aka Cougars. Bottles must be stamped with a DOT -1800 pound (124 bar) rating and permanently mounted (no hose clamps or tie wraps). Hoses from bottle(s) to solenoid must be high pressure steel braided or FIA permitted hoses. External heating of bottle(s) prohibited.

Ground Clearance - Minimum 3-inches (7.6 cm) from front of car to 12-inches (30.5 cm) behind centreline of front axle, 2-inches (5.1 cm) for remainder of car, except oil pan and headers.
Update - 3/30 This rule is taken care of. The reason for it is because the sensor is set at 2.5" from the ground, so it'll trip early on a car that is too low. It just may be easier for Extreme front equipped Cougs to race each other. ;)

Lighting - Must have one functional tail light for night operations. Flashing, blinking or strobe lights prohibited.

Master Cutoff Switch - Mandatory on any car with a battery running 9.99 (*6.39) or quicker, or any car exceeding 135 mph (217.2 km/h) or on any car where the battery is relocated into the trunk area. THIS IS MANDATORY for relocated batteries.

EricF will post the AutoX rules... in the meantime... locked :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
RE: IRP Event Rules and Regulations - Read it and refer back to it often...

is a motorcyle helmet ok? sorry, i'm autoX stupid...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
RE:IRP Event Rules and Regulations - Read it and refer back to it often...

or on any car where the battery is relocated into the trunk area. <-- i'm going to see what i can do aboot this one.
that rule is total BS... and I've never seen it enforced.

Of the three drag tracks I've been too, only one ever asked if I even had a relocated battery or cutoff switch, and when I said I had the battery in the trunk but no cutoff, the tech inspector said have it for next time and then let me through anyways.

However, if it does become absolutley needed, I will figure out how to do it cleanly this winter and then post a how-to for everyone...

edit: on second thought, i am going to do this mod regardless this winter. I'll probably get something like you'de find at summitracing to do it with...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Bottles must be stamped with a DOT -1800 pound (124 bar) rating
I have one small problem with this. My bottle will be airbrushed and won't have that safety sticker on it.....what should I do?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Considering that your bottle came in a kit i'm sure that they all come with that stamp, so i think you'd be alright.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

For the battery cutoff switch.... Why not just make one switch that is inline on a short battery cable with a coupler end on one side of it, and a terminal end on the other side. That way you can just take it off and put it on everyone's car before they line up. It would take all of about 1 minute to hook it up. Just disconnect the cable, hook the coupler up to it, and hook the other end up to the battery. I would think you could just hang the switch out of the trunk and you would be fine. That would be an easy fix - because honestly, I am not willing to install an external battery switch on my car.

And one quick question about the nitrous... Is the trunk considered part of the driver's compartment since we have a hatchback?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i'll be talking to the IRP's drag manager about the rules, specifically the nitrous and the rear-mounted battery. No sense in complaining until then.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts

the kill switch.. where would it have be located at? in the driver's compartment? By the battery in the trunk? Outside the car?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

well... I'm pretty sure an outside battery cutoff switch is needed due to safety regs...

and in fact... the NHRA confirms it.. check that page out. spells is out pretty exactly.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Originally posted by: ignernt
<u>Drag Strip</u>

Ground Clearance - Minimum 3-inches (7.6 cm) from front of car to 12-inches (30.5 cm) behind centreline of front axle, 2-inches (5.1 cm) for remainder of car, except oil pan and headers.)
thats gonna screw alot of people up............ too many slammed kitties in here.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Unless you have the extreme bumper nobody should have a problem. Anybody that has GC can raise up for drag, then slam at the show.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Yeah I have the extreme front and it's about 2.5-2.75 off the ground
I plan on racing that day.
I don't have ground control just roush springs
I've raced at many different strips and have never had a problem with the height
of my front end. They don't have gravel on their track do they?:biggrin:
Sorry I've just been looking forward to racing at Cougar Fest ever since it was annouced
and I've added alot of mods to my engine, I would hate to have my front end stop me
from participating.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts

You could just take off your front end just for drag! That way you have more airflow going into the engine and less weight... but you will also have less aerodynamics..

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

two questions,
1. my front does sit too low and i cant raise my car, will i be allowed to race w/out a bumper?
2. for those like myself that have removed their airbags and have aftermarket steering wheels, will this pose a problem?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Give me a little while to try to iron out the rules issues... the height and the relocated batteries being the biggest two apparently.

·
Registered
587 Posts

It may still be too earlier to be determined, but will we have to register for autoX by a certain time or just whenever? I mean, I want to watch the action and absorb as much as I can, because I have never been at one before. I just want to get a feel and know that I can run the course before I pay for it and decide not to do it. ... I mean I can run a twisty back road like you wouldn't believe, but cones that are on the side and upright..?... I have no clue what that means.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

You'll be able to pre-register for the AutoCross, or pay for it at the event if you decide to do it. The only thing about paying there is that it may cost slightly more.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the height rule for CF drag racing

Thanks

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Originally posted by: ignernt
Give me a little while to try to iron out the rules issues... the height and the relocated batteries being the biggest two apparently.
That was less than a week-and-a-half ago, CF is still 6 months away. You'll have plenty of notice, trust me.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

back to the battery question, what if we have a battery under the hood and in the hatch?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts