New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Naive question here. I bought aftermarket speakers and am installing them. They are the same footprint as the originals. The original stock speakers have grilles that screw on with the speakers into the door or the rear sidewall. I don't mean the fake round grilles that are on the door panel or side panel; I mean a separate set of grilles screwed directly to and with the speaker. Those grilles fit exactly onto the new speakers, because the footprint is the same. I'm sure these 'could' be used, but 'should' they? Or is it completely out with the old and completely in with the new?

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
A true audiophile would take them out. For most people, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It'll look weird and the the grill would be recessed about a quarter inch behind the panel. I kept the stock grill and mine sounds fine even at higher volume.

·
8,580 Posts
I took them out completely. The decorative grill provides plenty of protection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. They're not visible at all, so I'm not sure how it would look weird. Just didn't know if they were needed for any type of protection for the speaker. However, I would guess not, because if someone bought speakers of a different size/shape, then obviously there would be no internal grille at all, unless those speakers came with their own.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They're not visible at all, so I'm not sure how it would look weird.
Without those on, I can see my speakers quite clearly through the decorative mesh. To me that is a plus as I paid a premium for nicer Alpine speakers and don't mind seeing them. If yours are especially dark this may not be a problem, but silver/blue stands out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts