New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '99 Cougar since November, and ever since I got it, the driver's side window has let in a good amount of water when under high pressure (e.g., in an automatic car wash). There's a good-sized gap in between the glass and the weatherstripping on the longest side (parallel to the pillar with the seat belt on it), and I'm sure that's where the water comes in. During the winter, I also hit the Down button on that same window, not realizing that it was stuck shut due to ice buildup from an overnight winter storm, and the auto-down kicked in and kinda forced it to go down -- when it did, the window looked like it hit a "bump" on the way down, and ever since then, when I put the window down, it seems to hit a slight "bump" on the way.

Now, last night, I'm pulling into a paid parking lot and hit the Down button on the window to pay the parking attendant, and it won't go down. I hit Up, Down again, Up, Down again, Up Down Up Down Up Down, no go. So I open my door like an idiot, pay the parking attendant, and 30 seconds later while I'm seeking out a parking spot, the window suddenly rolls all the way down by itself. I pull into the parking spot, hit the Up button, and the window won't go up. So here I am in Rhode Island, and I'm praying that this window will go up, or else I'd have to drive back to Connecticut in 30 degree weather at highway speeds with the window all the way down. I hit Up a couple dozen times, nothing happens. I hold the Up button down, and I hear click-click-click-click-click then finally the window goes up. Since that incident, the window has gone up and down on command, no matter how many dozens of times I try it.

Is there a "track" that this window might have fallen off of that could be the cause of this problem (and might also explain why the glass isn't flush with the weatherstripping and lets in water), or is something else wrong?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Something similar with my window (no response to the "Down" command unless I first pressed "Up") led to the replacement of the window motor and the switch under warranty. The "bump" you feel is a place where it appears the gears have stripped while attempting to force the window down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts